Reader reviews and comments on The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, plus links to write your own review.

By David Wroblewski

• Hardcover: Jun 2008,
    Paperback: Oct 2009,

There are currently 39 reader reviews for The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

Karen (01/08/13)

Good until the ending disappoints
I was ready to recommend this book to my book club until it ended. All that reading to
be so disappointed in the end. I felt the author just wanted to end it, not caring what
the reader would feel.
FaeryGramma (03/08/12)

Worst Ending Ever
I am not a dog person but I learned so much about dogs and humans. This book was wonderful in language altho "melange" was used too much but what the heck happened to the plot? I could not believe the ending. HUH? [edited to remove plot spoilers]. I heard this as an audiobook. I grew up in Des Moines IA and the descriptions of rural life were gorgeous. But the ending ruined 5 stars from me.
Sara (08/04/10)

A Change in Perspective
Before I read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, big books really weren't my thing. I picked it up because my Aunt was reading it, and once I did I rarely put it down - not during school, on the bus, or at home. Edgar taught me that just because you feel useless, doesn't mean you are. He taught me that being alone can be better for you than not. He taught me that one's self is not always the most important thing, and that letting go is a good thing - but only after you've taken care of everything that needs to be. I passed the book on, so the copy of my Aunt's has been read by people in Maryland, Mexico, Georgia, and New York. If that's not a good book, what is?
Anita (05/28/10)

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
I thought this was one of the strangest book I have ever read. At first the concept seemed plausible to some extent, but frankly I thought the ending was awful. It made no sense, and left a great deal of information out.

Perhaps there is a sequel in the works, but I doubt I will read anything else this author writes.
Diana Hedum (01/29/10)

Robbed
The book held so much for the reader but in the end I felt robbed. The evolution of Trudy was disturbing and somewhat insulting. She came across as savvy, together, and understanding/sharing of her husband's family dynamic. It didn't make sense for her to be so desperate and void of character after Gar died to latch onto Claude for anything other than help.

The ending felt so forced and didn't flow with the rest of the book. It ruined the book for me. Even the sacrifice of Claude wasn't enough to make up for a book that started off so well and literally imploded. I won't read the author again and felt I wasted 567 pages.
Kim (01/15/10)

Engaging but disappointing
I love a great novel - the longer the better. I had no trouble getting into the story and finishing this almost 600 pg book in less than a week. One has such high hopes for the characters, especially Edgar and his mother. Maybe it's still the optimist in me that expected more in the ending of this novel. Even without the "shiny happy people" ending, you do expect some resolution to unanswered questions. But the author appears to have left his readers and his characters high and dry. Overall, engaging and riveting, despite the let down at the end.
jenna (01/05/10)

disappointed ending
Despite the disappointing ending I couldn't put the book down. I re-read the last few chapters to make sure I was I hadn't missed something. I felt very sad at the end as there was nothing positive after all of Edgar's hard work. I was in love with all of the Dogs especially Almondine. What a special relationship Edgar had with the dogs.Poor Trudy she endured so much. Just wish things had ended differently.
Jane (12/11/09)

A Real Let Down
I loved the book and was completely absorbed by it; just couldn't put it down. I do think it was far too long and should have been edited and pruned. I grew to love Edgar and kept hoping, really expecting, that his travails would lead to some sense of closure. We all know that evil does exist in this world, and even in "Othello" Shakespeare makes sure that Iago is undone. I felt cheated by the ending with no resolution of anything, really. Why was Forte in the book, for example? Then I began to think about it and realized that if we live in a world where God does not exist; the only thing we really have is each other. We all have to do what we can to help the powerless. It that what the author is saying? Or is he simply saying that life just is really awful for some people?

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

Be sincere, be brief, be seated.

P Your O C