Reader reviews and comments on Cheating at Canasta: Stories, plus links to write your own review.

Cheating at Canasta: Stories

Lucia Silva

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Cheating at Canasta: Stories

Beverly (01/09/09)

Cheating at Canasta by William Trevor
Trevor's main characters experience profound perceptions of self and situations that bring resolution/acceptance, slowly, ruefully. There is poetry in Trevor's prose -- graceful words and poignant, telling phrases.

From "The Children": "Connie and her father, while slowly coming to terms with the loss they had suffered, shared the awareness of a ghost that fleetingly demanded no more than to be remembered. Life continuing could not fold away what had happened but it offered something, blurring the drama of death's immediacy."

Serious readers are often avid people - watchers, curious about fears, desires, triumphs, loves, cruelties, betrayals: the human condition revealed. This isn't a book to be rushed through, but it is remarkable. I highly recommend it.
Melissa (04/03/08)

Leaves You Wanting More
Many of the stories are open-ended leaving the reader to imagine what takes place after the written page ends. A writer’s job is to bring us into the stories they have written, and William Trevor certainly does that. I look forward to reading more of his work. The only problem I have with this book is that I wish many of stories were longer! But, alas, these are "short" stories. I’d love to read a full-length book about the characters in “The Dressmaker’s Child,” as well as “The Room.” What fascinating reads!
John (01/10/08)

Enjoyable reading
I have not previously read any of William Trevor's works, nor do I normally enjoy short stories. Trevor's writing is intelligent and thought provoking. Many of the stories make you wish that they had been expanded upon in the form of a novel. They leave you wanting more.
Valerie (12/22/07)

Portrait of Our Humanity
William Trevor's collections of short stories reveals the dark side present in all of us. Leaving the scene of an accident, lying, cheating on spouses are temptations many are faced with during their lifetime. Trevor portrays their humanity with empathy. This collection is a very enjoyable and insightful read.
Lisa (12/11/07)

Cheating at Canasta
"Cheating at Canasta" is an excellent portrayal of the lackluster life of the ordinary man. His use of human emotions in each of the main characters is poignant. They run the gamut of guilt to grief. He leaves the reader hoping for more for each one of them. A great read; fodder for discussion.
Steve (12/11/07)

A Good Read
Trevors' new book is magnetic, his vocabulary is refreshing on both an intellectual and descriptive level. His characters are vibrant and compelling, each with their own nuances and insights. I did not enjoy "At Olivehill". The suspense was overdone and boring. As a whole, Trevor has done it! Powerful and unique.
Darcy (11/20/07)

Cheating at Canasta
I haven't read all the stories yet but most of them I have and have enjoyed each one. They are very thought-provoking and would make excellent book club discussions. I felt I really got to know the characters in those few short pages and was sorry to see the stories end.
Judy (11/14/07)

Trevor--A Master of Engagement
I found Cheating at Canasta to be an intriguing engagement between author and reader. Trevor engages your mind to toss and turn his stories, to re-read passages, to reflect on your own experience, and to entice you to consider the "what would I have done" question. Perfect for book club discussions!

• Book Jacket: The Pope and Mussolini
    The Pope and Mussolini
    by David I. Kertzer
    The Pope and Mussolini is a riveting account of the parallel rise to power of the authoritarian ...
  • Book Jacket: The Promise