Reader reviews and comments on The Last Secret, plus links to write your own review.

By Mary McGarry Morris

• Hardcover: Apr 2009,
    Paperback: Apr 2010,

There are currently 15 reader reviews for The Last Secret

Chrisanne (05/02/09)

....breathe deep ,the gathering gloom....
This novel is a masterpiece of dialogue ... At this point in time I was loathe to read anything that would remind me of the turbulent times of modern day American society but Ms. Morris's intricate use of inter-character banter and her way of giving voice to the innermost thoughts of all her important players was, in my opinion, mesmerizing. I found myself not wondering what was going to happen next but what was going to be said .... they say to only write about what you know and it seems Ms. Morris has done just that.
Kimberly (04/20/09)

Inside Their Heads
The first and last chapters of The Last Secret both begin: "They still don't believe her." The pages between propel the reader through Nora's struggles to save her family and her very essence. Her damaged self-image is repeatedly battered by her family, friends, and an acquaintance from her past and the secrets that surround and threaten to destroy them all. The reader is forced to ask, "Does Nora even believe in herself?"

The ability to feel Nora's real and raw emotional pain and track Eddie's twisted logic and paranoid thoughts is enhanced through the author's command of stream of consciousness. Being allowed into the minds of the main characters makes their plights personal and captivating.

With its many moral and ethical dilemmas, this would be an excellent book for book clubs. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Vicky (04/20/09)

The Last Secret
I believe I held my breath through this entire novel! After reading the first chapter I was spellbound as well as tense. The author has an unbelievable talent for drawing you in and keeping you beside her main character throughout this painful journey, and I felt every emotion along the way. For those of you who love to "buckle up" for a good read, I highly recommend this book that unfolds one "secret" right after another ... until the very end.
Ray (04/20/09)

Secrets and Lies
Nora and Ken Hammond live an ideal life - house in suburban New England, two kids and work together at the family-owned newspaper. That is, until Ken's betrayal of Nora by exposing a 4-year long affair with one of their closest friends. The secrets, lies and betrayal that ensues among all the lives effected would be enough to create an engaging story. But Nora has her own secret - a criminal one - and a maniacal figure from her past has arrived in town to exact his revenge.

Compelling and well-written, Mary McGarry Morris has scored a winner of a thriller-drama with The Last Secret.
Joyce (04/20/09)

Hang on for a Wild Ride!
When Nora discovers her husband is having an affair, her emotions begin a roller coaster ride. Mary McGarry Morris' descriptions of the stages one goes through are unbelievably accurate. What starts as a story of a family's pain, anger and betrayal quickly turns into a page turner when a man from Nora's past arrives in town. Written in tight, powerful sentences, it took all my willpower to keep from reading ahead to find out what was going to happen.
Josephine (04/20/09)

Hard to put down
Two secrets collide to create the tension in this book. The first, an assault years ago, comes back to haunt Nora just as she learns her husband has been committing adultery for at least 4 years with her best friend. Morris weaves the two strands confidently and expertly, heightening tension so that you must keep reading. My only caveat - if you have, or have had, a cheating spouse, her descriptions of the anguish Nora goes through are so accurate that it can be quite painful to the reader.
Iris (04/20/09)

The Last Secret
What began for me as a seemingly mindless, predictable, slightly elevated version of the "chick lit" genre became a compelling read. While written in the present, more and more information is masterfully revealed in small increments. The characters become more than just one dimensional in their development as the story becomes more and more compelling. This simply told story becomes increasingly difficult to put down. While not wanting to reveal the ending, I can only say that it packed a punch. I would definitely recommend this book.
Mary (04/20/09)

A touch of madness
The Last Secret is a nearly perfect book. The structure of the narrative and the present tense keep the reader right in the middle of the action, whether the action is external or internal. And the internal is absolutely fascinating, equally if not more suspenseful, a integral part of the plot in a way not many writers can pull off.

The unfolding of the main character, Nora, is brilliant. It's not just of a question of whether Nora has ever crossed into darkness, but if she wants to, if she believes that's all she is at her core. One character tells her: "You're just fighting the wrong fight. All you're seeing inside is sin, when it's your own goodness you should be looking for." What happens if you look and look for goodness but there doesn't seem to be any to find? How does that belief affect your actions? Or lack of action? The battles you pick and the ones that pick you? At some point the lies we tell ourselves and the secrets we keep catch up to us and we can only hope redemption might catch up at the same time. Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

Mary McGarry Morris has written a page-turner that pulls the reader deep into both the psyches of her characters and the reader's own psyche. It's one of those stories that sends you looking for someone who's read it so you can discuss it for hours. So many issues: if no one believes us, are we wrong? Is there ever "one true story"? What constitutes insanity? What is any given individual capable of? Or incapable of? What, if anything, can "subdue the darkness"? And so much more. I can't stop thinking about it. Wonderful book.

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

Any activity becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right, or better.

P Your O C