Reader reviews and comments on The Nanny Diaries, plus links to write your own review.

The Nanny Diaries

By Nicola Kraus, Emma McLaughlin

The Nanny Diaries

• Hardcover: Feb 2002,
    Paperback: Mar 2003,

There are currently 31 reader reviews for The Nanny Diaries

Beth K. (07/18/12)

above average light read
A satire of NY society that keeps you entertained. The parenting methods, lifestyle choices and general ambiance are all very typical.
Mrs. X is L. Birnbach but the one who is best portrayed is Mr.X a.k.a. Steven Haft in real life (Birnbach's husband). The author captures the narcissism and shamlessness that are his trademarks.
It's all about NY players and the price that the kids unfortunately end up having to pay.
Beth K. (07/18/12)

above average light read
E.M. (01/22/08)

Okay...
This book was really good. It could do without the slightly inappropriate parts, though. The language, alcohol and drug references were also disappointing. I would give it a 3 out of 5.
trvlquuen1 (11/26/07)

Not as Entertaining
Based on the hype, I was prepared for an easy, entertaining, funny book. Yes, it was an easy read, and at times, the author did have a good sense of humor, however, I don't find child neglect in the least bit funny, nor the treatment of what the rich deem as their "servants". The ending was just heartbreaking as far as the child goes, and I am curious to know how Grover turns out as an adult. I was amazed at the grace and dignity that Nanny, being so young, showed throughout the book. I couldn't believe she put up with what she did, although she did it because of her emotional attachment to Grover and tried to do what she felt was best for him since no one else seemed to. Unfortunately, I'm sure that none of the people who really need to read this book will, or if by some miracle they do, they would not think that it applies to them.
ROSIE FOFO (10/25/06)

LALA
a hilarious book..for kids of 15 and up.
fawnabelle (11/23/04)

I LOVED this book and finished it within a day. It's one of those books that you can't put down until the end. I love the characters ( espically the Harvard Hottie). I realy want them to write a sqeul if anyone knows that they have or plan to please write it in your review THANX!
Susan (11/20/04)

I found this to be an unpleasant read with overwrought characters who had no redeeming qualities. All of the main characters are distasteful, selfish people, and the book focuses on their meanness. It isn't funny, it isn't dramatic, it isn't involving. Not worth the time to read, in my opinion.
splodge (09/26/03)

This book is so true to the daily life and troubles a nanny goes through. Having been a nanny i can relate to it all. After reading this book i though i was so lucky to be with my past family but beleive me they all show their colours after a period of time.

A great read anyhow and i recommend it to any nanny just to put the job in to the right league.

The Search