Read what people think about The Borgia Betrayal by Sara Poole, and write your own review.

A Poisoner Mystery Novel

By Sara Poole

• Published in USA  Jun 2011,

There are currently 41 reader reviews for The Borgia Betrayal

Tracy B. (New Castle, DE) (07/23/11)

The Borgia Betrayal
This is not in my usual book genre but as I continued to read I enjoyed the unique situation of the heroine. The plot of suppression of a group (new to me), the friendships, freedom and sneakiness, religion and an evil element are just a few things going on. All of this kept my interest.

Personally I would not read more of this author. I would recommend it to others interested in historical novels. The ending really pulled together with excitement and intrigue.
Mary L. (Madison, MS) (07/15/11)

Interesting Series
I enjoyed this book for the history and strong female character. This is the second in a new series. Although, you do not need to read the first, I did go back and picked it up. Some scenes were a bit over the top but hey it is a novel. I would recommend for light, historical reading.
Kelly H. (Martinsville, IN) (07/13/11)

Fluffy historical fiction
I didn't love this book. It was more fluff than historical fiction. That's OK, but when I read about such an interesting time in history, I want to know about all the major players of the time in detail. I've just come off of a major Tudors bender, and can't believe how crazy, evil, corrupt, and vicious those people were! I'm sure the Borgias, their friends, and enemies were no different, and I would have loved to know more about them. Truth can be every bit as good as fiction! But again, that's just me-if I'm reading historical fiction, I want to learn as well as be entertained.

My other issue with this book is how simply the book was written. I was bored, and am sure a 5th grader could have read and comprehended the whole book. I did read Poison first, and would review it the very same.
Barbara R. (Fort Myers, FL) (07/11/11)

The Borgia Betrayal
Francesca, the poisoner, is in charge of keeping rodrigo Borgia, pope Alexander safe. She is consantly facing intrigue, death and deceit. his book is full of facinating history of 1490's Rome. All of which is used to thwart Francesca in her attempts to keep the Pope Safe. You can't be sure your friends are your friends. There is romance, murder, lies and all kinds of deception. This is Sara Poole's Second. Have to read her first book and then wait for her third.
Phyllis R. (Rochester Hills, MI) (07/10/11)

The Borgia Betrayal
Against the Renaissance backdrop of Rome after 1493 and the return of Christopher Columbus when Italy was not united, but was several city states who vied for power, Francesca Giordano, is the intriguing and beautiful heroine. She is a "court poisoner" for Rodrigo Borgia, Pope Alexander VI, which means she not only concocts poisons, but must examine all food, wine and gifts presented the the Pope and protect this important family which was featured in the TV series,"The Borgias." Author,Sara Poole, richly details this historical period and deftly weaves several threads involving romance, religion, and politics.
This is the second in a series featuring Giordano and the ending is open-ended for the continuing saga.
Valerie C. (Chico, CA) (07/07/11)

Good Historical Fiction
I like historical fiction from this era, and the strong female lead in this novel is an added plus. I strongly recommend this book for anyone who has enjoyed Phillipa Gregory's books.
Cheryl D. (Angola, NY) (07/06/11)

The Next Tudors
The latest trend in historical fiction seems to be the Borgia family. THE BORGIA BETRAYAL by Sara Poole is a sequel to POISON. I really felt that I needed to have read that before I tackled this one. I was missing some of the facts I needed to read this. I find the family interesting and enjoyed the story here, however. The author does need to work on her voice. I felt, at times, that the characters were much too modern in tone, both their attitudes and the way they expressed themselves.
Carol G. (Little Egg Harbor, NJ) (07/05/11)

The Borgia Betrayal
After watching The Borgias TV series I wanted to read this book. I'm only sorry that I didn't read Poole's Poison first for some insights and info on Francesca and her family.
I've read so much about the Tudors and now continuing on to the Borgias now. This detailed historical novel gives much insight into this powerful Renaissance family that many probably are not aware of.
I am looking forward to the third installment of this series as the conclusion of this book promises additional conflict.
This book was a compelling read from the first page and I would bet that any lover of historical fiction would be enthralled by its action and suspense during this Renaissance period.
It was a super read! Thank you for allowing me to review this superb book.

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

Every good journalist has a novel in him - which is an excellent place for it.

P Your O C