Read what people think about Blacklight Blue by Peter May, and write your own review.

The Third Enzo Files

By Peter May

• Published in USA  Nov 2008,

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Blacklight Blue

Kevin (10/09/08)

Blacklight Blue by Peter May
Enzo MacLeod, a Scot teaching on a faculty in southwest France, confidently bet that he could use his expertise to crack seven notorious murders described in a book on cold cases by Parisian journalist Roger Raffin. Enzo has in fact solved the first two crimes.

But the third is far from his mind right now: he has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness, and he has become the victim of someone who seems intent on destroying his credit and his relationships as well as getting him arrested for murder.

Having established a safe house to protect his loved ones he sets to work. Are his personal woes somehow connected to the digging he has done into the brutal murder of a boy in a Paris apartment sixteen years ago? Can he stay alive long enough to catch the long-hidden killer? This is the third installment in the series.

The plot line sounds great. The main character has worked well in other books. The author has written many novels. In my opinion this book simply falls flat.

There is a lot of violence in the book where one looks on dispassionately. The author fails to make the reader care enough about the victims to be as shocked as we should be. The best suspense in the book is in the personal lives of Enzo and his daughter not in the actual murder mystery.

I truly enjoyed the descriptions of Strasbourg and Paris, France. The author did a good job of bringing the city to life. The setting for the book is very well done.

Overall, I felt the writing did not flow well. A chapter is ended without pulling the reader to the next chapter. It was supposed to be a thriller but failed to thrill me. I gave this book 2 out of 5 stars.
Bonnie (09/22/08)

Mystery with a Twist
Looking for a good 'whodunnit' mystery with a few twists? Then, this is the book for you. Written in an easy-to-read style with an Eastern European setting, there are enough characters and swift transitions to keep you on your toes. Not only could I visualize the scenes and scenery, the infusion of the French language adds a decorative flair throughout. Definitely an enjoyable read!
Stephen (09/20/08)

Enzo rides again with great success...
I have never been a big fan of authors who stick to writing series on the same character such as Cornwell with Scarpetta. I recognize that these type of series get large fan followers however I feel it limits authors in their imaginative approach to writing. Peter May has his own series here with the Enzo MacLeod character.

With 'Blacklight Blue' it is my introduction to May and his MacLeod series. I was very impressed with May's characters and how true to life they come across with their day to day challenges of life. Enzo is not your super sleuth but is a flawed character that you grow to like.

In 'Blacklight Blue' he is being stalked by a person that wants to ruin his life by affecting the people around him. The goal is to steer Enzo away from trying to solve a series of cold cases referenced in a book by his daughter's boyfriend. I was impressed by how well the forensics breakdown was done.

The book has short chapters much like the Spencer series by Parker. It's an easy read but very well done and extremely entertaining. I think I'm going to go and get the first two books in this series to see if they equal this one in suspense and entertainment.
Pamela (09/18/08)

Enjoyable to read.
I enjoyed reading this book. It kept my interest & was easy reading. I like the way you are able to get to know each character. They come to be friends or enemies. It was a good twist in the story and surprise to find out about Anna.
Penny (09/17/08)

Blacklight Blue
I am a fan of all the TV cold case shows, so when I saw this book had to do with solving cold cases, I knew I would probably like it. This is the first book I have read by Peter May and I will definitely read more. I took this book with me on a beach vacation and it was the perfect read. I couldn't put it down. If you like mysteries, this one should be on your list to read. Peter May did a great job of keeping this story interesting. I thought at first the "French" words would distract me, since I am not a fan of reading books where I need to translate words into English; however, they did not. This is a book I will recommend to my "mystery reading book club." There were many characters and situations that would make for great discussions.
Sharon (09/15/08)

Blacklight Blue
Blacklight Blue is a highly entertaining thriller featuring Enzo MacLeod in his third and latest installment.

With Enzo as the prime suspect in a murder, he is led down a path of deception and intrigue throughout France, Spain and London.

May’s vivid imagery, fully dimensional characters and unexpected humor completely draw the reader into the story. Although Enzo is portrayed as a roguish, impulsive ladies man, the loyalty towards his daughters proves him quite endearing.

It is an exciting and colorful book that would make a great movie.
Maureen (09/13/08)

Blacklight Blue
This is a mature mystery that took me awhile to really get into. However, once you understand how the author is approaching the story, you realize how well written it is. The author has a marvelous method of describing the people and the various places where the actions take place. Being set in many locals in Western Europe has added to the richness of the story. Besides the cold case mystery itself, there are very interesting backgrounds of each of the characters and their relationships with one another. A good read!
Barbara (09/12/08)

Blacklight Blue
Wow! Blacklight Blue is a page turner. It had a lot of twists and turns. It is third of a series. I will be reading the first two books of the series and more to come.

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

It is a fact of life that any discourse...will always please if it is five minutes shorter than people expect

P Your O C