Read what people think about The Edge of the Earth by Christina Schwarz, and write your own review.

By Christina Schwarz

• Published in USA  Apr 2013,

There are currently 57 reader reviews for The Edge of the Earth

Judy K. (Conroe, TX) (10/16/12)

It got better....
I love historical fiction and the promise of a story about an isolated light house around the turn of the century held a lot of appeal for me. I did enjoy the book, eventually, but at first, I thought I'd made a mistake and had asked for a young adult book. It reminded of stories I read as a child. However, before I was done reading it, it picked up speed and I ended up enjoying it a great deal. I loved the development of the relationship between Trudy and her new husband and was only too happy at the resolution of said relationship. The book was well-crafted except for that slow start. If you enjoy historical fiction, give it a try and stick with it. You won't be disappointed.
Margaret L. (Petoskey, MI) (10/16/12)

Enjoyable Read
Christina Schwarz's poetic style of writing and colorful, diverse characters make this a delightful read. I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. It's a story of love, understanding and accepting the differences of others, overcoming difficult situations and finding one's place in life.
Ann J. (Brenham, TX) (10/15/12)

The Edge of the Earth
Christina Schwarz is an outstanding storyteller. The Edge of the Earth is a beautifully crafted story set primarily in a desolated, remote, lonely lighthouse site. Of course, there is more going on among the characters than the simple story line might suggest! The descriptions of nature, the ruggedness of the spot and the beauty of the aquatic natural world are outstanding. The characters are well drawn. I particularly enjoyed the protagonist's view of Oskar, her husband, who presented her with some extremely human conflicts. I thoroughly enjoyed The Edge of the Earth.
Barbara G. (Lisle, IL) (10/15/12)

The Edge of the Earth
The Edge of the Earth could be enjoyed by young adult to adult readers, especially those with an interest in history, biology, feminism and anthropology. The heroine is educated, plucky and resourceful. Book clubs also would find it a good generator of discussions on self-determinism, freedom of expression, and male-female relationships, with a special emphasis on moral questions of treatment of others. Though not written in the same vein, the subtheme of the book was like Hornblower's stories of adventure for young men, but this for a young woman breaking free of family expectations to find her own way.
Mary Lou F. (Naples, FL) (10/15/12)

Living With What You Have
Tough living on a mountain maintaining a light house. This book is written very well and the author brings the characters to life. Different plot than most but very intriguing. Good read and you want to finish in one reading.
Laurie F. (Brookline, MA) (10/14/12)

Great Read!
This was one of those books where you stayed up or hurried home to continue reading. You sympathized with the challenges and emotions of the characters. You also became part of the isolated community on the island. Highly recommend if you are in the mood for a good story.
Barb W. (Mechanicsburg, PA) (10/13/12)

A very good read
I've never read anything by Ms. Schwarz before, so I didn't know what to expect from this book. I love historical fiction, especially those stories that really draw you into the lives of the characters. Add a bit of mystery -- another favorite genre -- and a lighthouse, and I was hooked. Once I got into the book, it was hard to put it down, as I wanted to find out what happened next. I will be recommending "The Edge of the Earth" to fellow readers!
MaryEllen K. (Albany, NY) (10/13/12)

The Fog and the Sea
I loved the detailed descriptions of the settings in this novel. I was able to sustain vivid images of the ocean, morrow, lighthouse, tide pools, cave, and artifacts. There were passages I found myself re-reading because of the beauty of the language. I empathized with Trudy's initial difficulty in adjusting to the isolation and lack of material comforts at Point Lucia, yet I came to appreciate her satisfaction with the life she made for herself. The plot itself was not quite as riveting as I had initially imagined it would be, and yet I was compelled to read this entire book in one sitting, always wanting to learn more about the mysterious character who is introduced mid-way through the book.

The Search