Reader reviews and comments on Blackbird, plus links to write your own review.

Blackbird

A Childhood Lost and Found

By Jennifer Lauck

Blackbird

• Hardcover: Sep 2000,
    Paperback: Sep 2001,

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Blackbird

Nikki (05/10/04)

I am a 16 year old female. This book was assigned to me for a class project, but I found that once I started to read it, I could not put this book down. While the author does seem to hero worship her mother and father, everyone can see plainly that they are not perfect people, merely human beings. The book has good diction and imagery, giving the reader the ability to connect with the author. i would highly recommend this book, and also Still Waters, the sequel to the book.
Bella (08/13/03)

What a wonderful book! Touching and inspirational. Jennifer Lauck recounts her childhood's thoughts and feelings with an honesty and skill that's admirable. I got this book as a gift three years ago and have only recently decided to read it, I have now read it twice and well as her sequel "Still waters" and I could not recommend them enough. It felt so emotionally involved in the story, part of that little's girl's fight to survive, yet unable to do anything to change the cruel hand of destiny that awaited her. You must read this book!
columbia gal (07/01/03)

What a disappointment. The author writes in the voice of a child, but voices very adult feelings, etc., which makes for a very awkward read. Also, while her memoir purports to be non-fiction, I am highly skeptical of this. The story is implausibale at best, and makes no sense in many ways. (She paints a portrait of a loving extended family, but then claims the entire family deserts the children when first her mother, then her father dies, leaving her totally at the whim of an "evil" stepmother.) And, just when you begin to say, okay, MAYBE it really happened like this, I learn that the author claims to have not remembered most of her childhood until very recently. Very, VERY implausible. It made this book smack of either unreliable recovered memory, or out and out fiction, with the main characters dead and therefore not able to complain.
If you wish to read a really interesting, and highly readable, memoir of an unusual, trying childhood, read "Don't Let' s Go to the Dogs Tonight" instead.
Emily (04/21/03)

I have never read a book that has made me cry so much. This book will have you wrapped up in your emothions and it wont let go. If the story doesn't make you cry the wonderous writting will. The beautiful similies start hitting you the moment you start the book. You begin to hear about tissue paper clouds and angry clothing. Jennifer takes one aspect of the book and carries it though the plot. The young little girl will never forget her mothers words of fashion. If you havn't read this book yet I pitty you.
Mary (02/09/03)

From the moment I read the first paragraph of this book, I couldn't put it down until complete. The author did a wonderfun job of making you feel everything that she went through. I would recommend this book as well as it's sequel "Still Waters" to anybody.
donna haskins (10/27/02)

I bought this book on a whim, just picked it up, started reading and could not put it down. Still today I still think of the little girl. I cant wait for the second book

The Search