Reader reviews and comments on Flags of Our Fathers, plus links to write your own review.

Flags of Our Fathers

By James Bradley, Ron Powers

Flags of Our Fathers

• Hardcover: May 2000,
    Paperback: Oct 2001,

There are currently 30 reader reviews for Flags of Our Fathers

Melinda (06/27/02)

I am an 18 yr. old girl who is one of the few females who enjoy reading war history. It is the third war book that I have read and it was definately one of the best books that I have ever read. With it's amazing, graphic details of what war is all about. Also, it showed what heroes really are, doing something extrodinary despite the risk of your own life. I hope everyone gets a chance to read this great book cuz it was one that I could not put down.
Terry (06/20/02)

I read this and was greatly moved by the stories of all the flagraisers, especially the Author's Father. Every Father, and men in general especially young people should read this book and learn something from the grit, determination, honor, and loyalty that is portrayed in this book.
Margie (05/28/02)

This is a wonderful book; and, it should be required reading for all students in every history class in every school in the United States of America. Only then, I feel, will young people in this country fully understand and appreciate the freedoms they enjoy!
Kevin F Garcia (04/09/02)

Today I finished reading James Bradly's, Flags of our fathers. Truely this is the most moving history book that I have ever had the honor to read. Mr. Bradley masterfully transports his readers back to a more innocent period, in describing the lives of the six flagraisers. then proceeds to set the record straight, as to what really happened leading up to that 1/ 400th of a second, frozen in time, on Mount Suribachi, and just how it would consume, taunt, and invade the three survivers lives as long as they lived. I truely believe that this book should be required reading for all branches of service of the United States of America. I certainly plan on making it required reading when I graduate and begin my teaching career.
Carolyn (04/03/02)

Without a doubt the best war book I have ever read. I am 15 years old, and this book made more of an impression on me than any movie ever made could possibly have done. I felt connected with all the Marines mentioned, and cried when each one met his fate. I realized fully for the first time what our armed services do for our country, and I want to thank all of them, Army, Navy, Marines, all those who died, and all those who continue to protect our country. This book has made a lasting impression on me, and I will never forget the words I read.
Anonymous (01/18/02)

Excellently written and highly recommended. I am 28 years old and was profoundly moved by the contents of this book. So much so that I read it in 3 days and many times through a stream of tears. I felt I was graciously allowed a glimpse into the pain and the heroism of battle and began to feel I was there as if a silent comrade. I say thank you with all my heart to those who have served and survived the atrocities of war. Thank you for your service. Thank you James for drawing these memories out that we may never forget the cost and continue to honor those who serve. I hope to see and read more on WWII from you and others. Text
Anonymous (01/10/02)

I am 15 and I loved the book. It proved false many things I hand thouht about the picture. A compelling read that was hard to put down and pick up. It was very emotional.
Anonymous (12/31/01)

Cl Noring US Marine ww11. I knew and served with Gagnon at the Washington Navy yard as security. All of us had fought at the Guadalcanal campaign.
Gagnopn and I were on dispatched duty at the Naval torpedo factory in Alexander Va. station.

In the fall or early winter of 1944 Gagnon(Rena)? were on librerty in Washing DC.
Walking down the street we saw a D C cop hit a Marine over the head with his Billie club, we went to help out our brother Marine. More cops came more Marines. When the paddy wagon showed up I tried to get Gagnon out of there. He did not make it.
The Corps transferred him to the Pacific area. Then to Iwo Jima.
Now at 80 years I am still proud of him and others of his ilk

by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

Tomlinson Hill
by Chris Tomlinson

Published Jul. 2014

1.  153The City:
    Dean Koontz

Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting

O O T F P, Into T F