Reader reviews and comments on Raising Wrecker, plus links to write your own review.

Raising Wrecker

By Summer Wood

Raising Wrecker

• Hardcover: Feb 2011,
    Paperback: Sep 2012,

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Raising Wrecker

Gail L. (Maitland, FL) (11/17/10)

Wrecker the Abandoned Child
Wrecker is a book I didn't want to end. Our social system for children is so unpredictable with so many children being moved many times that reading Wrecker shows what can happen to a child who is left in one place. The story of Wrecker begins when he is 3 years old and ends when he's 20 and the years between are portrayed by the author with much flavor, dimension and tenderness. Many people are involved in his child-rearing who are fraught with problems, seeking their own solutions. Wrecker impacts each person's life in a different and profound way. Book clubs would have many avenues to explore after reading the book. This book could very easily continue in a sequel showing what Wrecker does with his life - the decisions he makes and how he raises his own children. Great read.
Gunta K. (Glens Falls, NY) (11/16/10)

Loss and Resiliency
"Wrecker" is an important tome. Should be read by young and old. Several people, having adversely suffered from the winds of life, come together in a remote spot of nature, to heal themselves. To start anew. By his accident of birth, they find Wrecker in their midst, a very young boy who needs healing himself, as well as, an inordinate amount of care and love. The story is vibrant, full of most interesting characters. Of resiliency of the human spirit. Of never giving up. Of adults, more or less strangers to this small child, being able to put themselves aside in totality and place the boy and his needs first and actually learn to love him. I recommend this book to all, regardless of age, the story has backbone.
Brenda S. (Grand Rapids, MN) (11/15/10)

An Exhausting Trip
Summer Wood obviously had a vision when writing this book; however, it was a difficult story to follow and many times I had to reread sections to be sure which character was speaking. The emotional twists of these very strong women kept a person continuing on a hopeful journey for promising resolutions. Life is messy...Summer got that part right. I'm glad I read this book...it will be with me for a long time.
Tracy T. (Wakefield, RI) (11/14/10)

Wrecker
I didn't know if I had miscalculated the time I might have to read/review the book or was it that I just wasn't drawn in by the book. Fortunately, once I found the time I was able to appreciate the story of Wrecker and the eclectic group who come to love and care for him. Most characters have depth and soul and allow the reader to invest in and care about the fate and future of Wrecker. It is a lovely book with pace, poignancy and plenty of heart.
Debra P. (Belmont, NC) (11/12/10)

It takes a village!
I was really moved by this story. It is so revealing as to how we often treat the most vulnerable in our society... our children...Wrecker had a rough beginning, but he became a blessing to several others just because of his situation. I loved the way each character was impacted by the events and received clarity into their own situations as a result of knowing Wrecker. I became engulfed in this boy's life as I waited to see how things were going to turn out and it was a "page turner." This book reminded me a little of "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. I will definitely recommend it for my book group because I know we will have some very interesting discussions.
Carolyn A. (Questa, NM) (11/12/10)

Wrecker
"Wrecker" is an eloquent, loving, human book. It grabs you on the first page and never lets you go. The characters are utterly perfect. As an older reader, I often forget the names of people in books. Not this one. Wrecker is a book that will stay with you for a long time.
Shelley C. (Eastport, NY) (11/11/10)

Wrecker
This is truly an excellent story with so many interesting elements. However, I found it difficult to read and at times almost put it aside intent on never picking it up again. I am glad though that I stuck with it. The ending was really a good payoff for me. It made me feel really good that there are second chances in life and there are strangers out there who could become really good friends; even family.
Denice B. (Fort Bragg, CA) (11/10/10)

Wrecker
Wrecker, a novel whose premise had given me great hope, was a disappointment. This story of a boy raised among a small household of unrelated people in the wilds of Humbolt County could have been so much deeper. I read the writer's words, but didn't hear individual voices from the underdeveloped and almost interchangeable characters; perhaps the story would have have been more engaging if told from the boy's point of view. Luckily, it was written simply so was easy to get through.

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove