Reader reviews and comments on Raising Wrecker, plus links to write your own review.

Raising Wrecker

by Summer Wood

Raising Wrecker

Feb 2011, 304 pages
    Sep 2012, 304 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Raising Wrecker

Power Reviewer Suzanne G. (Tucson, AZ) (11/10/10)

A good story......
I enjoyed the book very much. I felt some characters could have been expanded to get a better picture of their involvement. For instance: What was Ruth's story? Or Johnny Appleseed's story? "Wrecker" had a predictable ending but the journey there kept my interest peaked. I even approved of Willow's and Len's love. And, of course, love of each family member as the book unfolded.
Power Reviewer Colleen L. (Casco, ME) (11/09/10)

Wrecker
What a well written novel! From the start of the first page to the end, the book grabs your attention and never lets you down. I very much enjoy books that explore non-conventional families. Each person that comes into Wrecker's life at the farm has issues of their own and yet shows compassion and understanding for Wrecker's life situation. I like the way the author draws these issues out. She takes her time in discussing each and every character instead of rushing to tell you the details of each person's life immediately. You get to know these people and feel sympathy for both them and Wrecker. You end up truly caring what happens to these characters. Any reader interested in reading about complex relationships and interesting characters will truly enjoy this book. Summer Woods wrote a best seller as far as I am concerned.
Penny P. (Santa barbara, Calif) (11/09/10)

Wrecker......worth a read
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a very descriptive story with characters that seemed to come alive. The little boy had parts of any little boy I have ever known. The other characters in the book were truly unique. While it was sad to see the boy taken from his mother, he probably had a much better (certainly more interesting life) with his "adopted family". I think almost anyone who reads the book will like it.
Power Reviewer Lucy B. (Urbana, Ohio) (11/09/10)

Wrecker
When choosing a book, the title would be deceiving. It was a wonderful story about a three-year-old who was taken from his single mother and placed with a member of the family. There is a lot of true-life children in the same situation. As I followed the story of the young man growing up, I was looking forward to see how he would finally end up. I recommend this book. It was a good read.
Kristen K. (Atlanta, Georgia) (11/09/10)

Wrecker
This book features a wide cast of characters all scarred from events in their past. A non-traditional family forms. The book explores the concept of family and how a family can be a source of healing and wholeness for its members. Some might think the concept is too pat—damaged people healed by a damaged child named Wrecker but I was engaged by the book and loved following Wrecker’s journey from baby to young adulthood. I believe there are many interesting discussion topics for book clubs to explore.
Jill S. (Eagle, ID) (11/05/10)

Wrecker
What a great book! Set in northern California in the late 60’s, Wrecker finds himself adopted by a distant Uncle after his mother goes to prison. When his Uncle is not able to take care of Wrecker, he finds himself being raised by his quirky neighbors (the next farm over). Despite his neighbors flaws and secrets, they ultimately band together to form a family, and provide Wrecker with a home filled with compassion and love. Each one helps Wrecker, and they raise an exceptional young man.

Right from the start, I was captivated by the characters and couldn’t put the book down. It’s a heartfelt, touching story that is beautifully written. I really enjoyed this book, and loved reading it.
Jan B. (Tetonia, ID) (11/04/10)

A lovesong to "family"
This story is a love song to the meaning of Family, what it is like to raise an adopted child ... the unspoken questions, the murky unknowns, the pushing ahead because you have to, and that glorious binder called love. Wrecker, an adorable 3 yr old, is separated from his birth-mom, and after a few trials in some different places, lands with an uncle who is pretty unable to care for him at that point, but has this amazing set of odd neighbors who live together just next door, who take him in. It is this extended family, and their different styles and personalities, and the different ways of giving love that allows Wrecker to be the best he can be. I loved all the characters. Time flies by, and he is 20 at the end, ready to fly the coop, but perfect as a young man, ready for the world. I didn't want to put it down.
Jeanne M. (Vancouver, WA) (11/04/10)

Wrecker the Transformer and Transformed
With the number of children in the social services system today, this portrayal of the life of "Wrecker" is an important read.

Wrecker fell in with relations who were all trying to solve the problems in their own lives, fairs better than many of the children who find themselves moving from one family to another. Not only does Wrecker gain from his placement with family, he transforms the lives of those around him, with choices made because of him, and in spite of him.

This is a poignant account of a family of survivors woven together with love and care.

I loved reading this book and the hope it has for surviving difficult experiences.

• Book Jacket: A Certain Age
    Barkskins
    by Annie Proulx

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Spinster
by Kate Bolick

A bold, original, moving book that will inspire fanatical devotion and ignite debate.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All