Reader reviews and comments on The River King, plus links to write your own review.

The River King

By Alice Hoffman

The River King

• Hardcover: Jul 2000,
    Paperback: Jul 2001,

There are currently 14 reader reviews for The River King

Cindy E. (03/17/09)

Gripping story
Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite author and this is my favorite of all her novels. It mixes up mystery, romance, and the underlying element of hazing. It keeps one's attention throughout, and will not disappoint.
ELLEN (11/08/04)

Spellbinding. Hoffman is a master story teller. The River King establishes an atmosphere through Hoffman's fine detail of the Mass. town where the story takes place. She then interrelates two different plots that hold your attention through there twists and turns.
She masterfully intertwines mystery and romance.
Brett (08/05/04)

Although this book was unmatched in its display of feelings and emotion but it was so incredibly slow moving that i hardly got to the end, which did not complement the excellence of the rest of the novel.
Anonymous (04/22/04)

I think this is the best book, I had read in a long time, it held my interest from start to finish. I am a mature female but believe this book would appeal to all age groups.
Gao Lue Vang (05/01/03)

This book is amazing. I have never read anything as wonderful as this. This book is filled with so many feelings and I just couldn't put the book down.
Aly B. (04/30/03)

"The River King" was a very intriguing and well-written novel. I thought the story line and plot were superb and full of depth. As much as the plot was good, I felt the novel was mainly character-driven which also added to the brilliance of the novel because as a reader I felt like I knew these characters personally. This made the book emotionally exciting and rewarding. However, there were times when the author strayed away from the main plot of the story and got a little too wrapped up in the setting of the story which made some parts quite dull. Also some of the supposed main points of the story were never fully explained. There were also way too many extra characters that served absolutely no purpose in the story. They only confuse and complicate an already complicated story. But otherwise this book is excellent and I recommend it to all.
Mary (03/22/03)

Thank you again A.H. The River King took me somewhere else. Anyone who has enjoyed fairytales in their youth can recapture that certain something in Alice Hoffman's prose. Filled with mystery, magical atmosphere and interesting characters, The River king delivers.
Rhyan (11/18/02)

This book was not that good. There were about 250 unnecessary pages. This novel was not spell-binding at all, if I were not required to read it for class, I would have stopped within the first 10 pages. The 'who done it' aspect was horrible, the plot was predictable, the 'magical world' created by Alice Hoffman was merely that of a B-grade movie. As far as this book being a journey of three people, the journey really doesn't take you anywhere. As far as the main female character is concerned, she isn't a dynamic character, she gains and loses a friend in a short period of time, not a big journey. Two people find love, which is predictable. The man who endulges in only physical passion falls falls in love with a woman who rushed into engagement with a man who proved to be merely convienant. Once again, definately B-grade movie material. So buy this book if you want, I wouldn't.

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

All my major works have been written in prison...

P Your O C