Reader reviews and comments on The Last Full Measure, plus links to write your own review.

The Last Full Measure

By Jeff Shaara

The Last Full Measure

• Hardcover: Jun 1998,
    Paperback: May 1999,

There are currently 7 reader reviews for The Last Full Measure

fdhdfh (08/27/03)

this book was awesome
Sanjeet S. Parab (01/18/03)

I feel that Jeff has lived up to his dad's name. By far one of the best books I have ever read. I am not a real big reader and it takes a lot to interest, but when I read Killer Angels I loved it. At first when I bought Jeff's bood Gods and Generals I believed there to be no way for this book to be as good as his father's but so far it is. Although I am not finished with Gods and Generals I went out and bought The Last Full Measure hoping it to be as good. I would like to see more by Jeff.
Kate (08/19/02)

I found this book to be excellent. The accounts of all the men, on both sides were moving. Before reading this book, I had no true understanding of the war; thought it was a war of the North, fighting for what was right, and the South fighting to keep the right to enslave people. I found how wrong I was throughout Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure. The accouts of Robert E. Lee, Ulysses Grant, and especially Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain have frequently moved me to tears.
Jeremy Sproat (07/03/02)

I feel that Jeff Sharra has lived up to his dads name. By far one of the best books i read. I am not a real big reader and it takes a lot to interest me,but when i read The Killer Angels I loved it. At first when I bought Jeffs book Gods And Generals I believed there to be no way for this book to be as good as his fathers but so far it is. Although I am not finished with Gods and Generals i went out and bought The Last Full Measure hoping it to be as good. I would like to see more by Jeff.

Chris Keeton
"The Last Full Measure" brilliantly captures the brutality and humanity of the last years of the Civil War. It can be witnessed through the eyes of the key players in America's greatest test the motivation and desire to conclude the war with as much haste as possible. It is also easily seen that a simple difference in viewpoint can turn brothers into enemies.
Jeff Shaara uses not only a talent for writing, but a true 'one-on-one' relationship with the characters to shape the human side of the conflict. We see through the loss of so many integral people in Lee's army, such as J.E.B. Stuart and A.P. Hill, the Southern Army begins to lose much of itself. While its spirit is never conquered, the force of the Federal army is overwhelming. We also see how one decision from Lincoln, the choice of U.S. Grant to lead the Union forces, changed not only tactics, but brought about a new urgency on both sides to stop at nothing until victory was achieved.
Jeff Shaara places the reader in the middle of the conflict, making the decisions and emotions of the main characters as modern as if it were happening today. Shaara brings to a new light a moment of American history that altered this country forever. His courage, humanity, emotion, and talent come together to present a novel that, while not taking sides, makes the reader a part of a living history.

Susan
Jeff Shaara creates a successful sequel to his fathers book The Killer Angels. Shaara greater success was the transformation of his father book into the movie Gettysburg. We hope to soon see both the prequel, Gods and Generals, and the sequel The Last Full Measure make their appearance as Movies.

Dan
This is a great book. While Gods and Generals sometimes had the fault of a lack of detail, this book covers only two years of the war, and is therefore able to express more detail. Grant's character is portrayed excellently, while old friends Chamberlain and Lee are always welcome. He dramatically portrays the command conflicts in the Union army, while poignantly telling the story of Lee's commanders, as they all eventually meet ruin.
Chamberlain's rise is a feel good touch. The character of John Gordon is interesting, and it would be nice to have a book come out on him, as well. All in all, Shaara's best book so far.

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove