Reader reviews and comments on Midwives, plus links to write your own review.

By Chris Bohjalian

• Hardcover: Oct 1998,
    Paperback: Oct 1998,

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Midwives

keilla love (05/23/11)

midwives is a nice book!
I really liked the novel midwives. It is really exciting and very breathtaking story.
Sandybeach (09/05/08)

Book that Can't Make Up It's Mind
At first I thought this was a Young Adult book, being narrated by a teen, but the language didn't ring true for YA. Nor does it fit into Mystery or Adult Fiction because of the teenage narrator. While I agree it's suspenseful, there's a withheld piece of information that made me swear I'll never read another book by this author. I felt cheated and disappointed at the end of the book.
Melissa (02/19/07)

Did She or Didn't She
I enjoyed this book for so many reasons: It was a courtroom drama not centered in a courtroom; It was narrated by the eavesdropping daughter of the protagonist, which provided a great viewpoint; It was suspenseful and touching and the writing itself was beautiful!
Cadi (10/23/05)

Midwives
I loved the book. I read it in 2 days on a lovely 18 hour road trip. It was very compelling, so deep. I didn't think the end really changed that lingering doubt. I think just taking that risk of acting on those instincts for what you love really makes the point. Those entries still left a reasonable doubt in my mind. This was a lovely book to begin my law classes!
Shannon (06/05/04)

Oooh, this book annoyed me. I felt manipulated, and I don't like that. I don't want to give any plot points away (though this book has been out for ages, but still), but I found myself bothered by the facts surrounding Sybil. Do we root for her or not? I don't mind when a book makes you think for yourself--in fact, I definitely PREFER that. But I didn't think this was a case of purposeful ambiguity. It was simply inconsistent. For 99% of the book, we are given one set of facts, and then, suddendly, we are given another. I wish that the author would have mixed it up more. It's just felt cheap to me. Like cheating. Thumbs down.
Nora (04/18/04)

The title of the book did not appeal to me, but I had to read it for my group book report. After I read it I just couldn't put the book down. I especially like the ending. I will look for more book written by Chris Bohjalian.
Jeannine (09/21/02)

For the first fifty pages, I did not like the book and had just about decided not to finish it, but then I went on and found I couldn't put it down. I especially liked the ending.
Chris McCluskey (04/07/02)

I've been studying this book for a grade 13 independent study, and after three months with it by my side, it has yet to become a burden. I enjoy picking it up every time.

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove