Reader reviews and comments on The Art Forger, plus links to write your own review.

By B A. Shapiro

• Hardcover: Oct 2012,
    Paperback: May 2013,

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The Art Forger

Elizabeth (Salem, Oregon) (09/19/12)

Interesting
I read this in stops and starts until about halfway through even though I found the descriptions of copying/forging a painting to be fascinating. But once the story started moving, I finished the book quickly. The writing itself was good but I thought Claire was too naive for a woman of her age and experience and the plot developments predictable, however I still would recommend the book.
Lesley F. (San Diego, CA) (09/16/12)

Art Smart!
B.A. Shapiro's "The Art Forger" was a very enjoyable read. A couple of plot twists kept me going right through to the end! The detail of the methods of copying master artists and forging famous old works of art were amazing. Book clubs would enjoy this especially if the clubs are interested in finding out about a subject in detail while they are reading a novel. Like Dick Francis's Proof, which taught me all about making whiskey, and Alex Haley's Money, which taught me all about banking, The Art Forger informs while telling a good murder mystery. Some of the story is based on actual events and people which always enhances a mystery for me.
And there is a strong, undaunted female lead!
Barbara S. (Glen Ellyn, Illinois) (09/14/12)

The Art Forger
Barbara Shapiro's book, The Art Forger finds the painting of Edgar Degas, Woman Leaving Her Bath as the main character. The amazing plot of this book is the fate of an artist who was asked to copy this picture. The plot thickens with a hidden original copy of this picture.

Ms. Shapiro picked up her pallet and came up with an enthralling picture story of the world of artists, paintings, greed, copying and forging that will keep her readers on the edge of their seats. This "can't put it down story" painted by Barbara Shapiro in the Art Forger is an exciting and informative story. The characters in the book are described with depth and with understanding of the complex situation they find themselves involved in.
Barbara H. (Richmond, IN) (09/14/12)

The Art Forger
The Art Forger was a learning experience for this reader. The passion of the artist, the difficulty of attaining success, and the manipulation of the market are all here. Also demonstrated are the steps to authenticating a famous work. However, the learning had the added suspense of the reason for the forgery--is it right to do something wrong to achieve a right? Each step in the creation of the forgery is suspenseful--will the method work? Then, of course, the suspense of success for the artist, the relationship with the gallery owner, the result of the forgery--so many things to engage any reader. The book is an entire package.
BEE021 (TAMPA, FL) (09/13/12)

Mystery, romance, and art forgery techniques
This novel is well written with an excellent plot that includes mystery, romance and well-drawn characters that you come to care about. The narrator is Claire, a young artist who makes her living painting reproductions of art masterpieces by Edgar Degas and others, and the reader will learn a lot about how artists apply paint to canvas; and as part of the mystery of the novel, the reader comes to understand the technical process of "layering", "glazing" and "rendering", as well as how an artist uses line, shadow and movement. Further, the reader will learn about the history of art forgery and that some art experts today think that the best forgeries are still hanging on museum walls....a page turner that I highly recommend.
Nancy M. (Hillsborough, CA) (09/12/12)

The Art Forger bu B. A. Shapiro
I found this book to be very enjoyable. I am not an artist, but a lover of art, so the details about how a masterpiece was reproduced were of great interest to me. Also the twists and turns that the story took kept me reading into the night. The author certainly knew or researched all aspects of the art world. I think book clubs would like this book ad would find a lot to discuss.
Andrea S. (Lafayette, IN) (09/11/12)

Great Story about Art and Love
I was attracted to the subject matter because I have enjoyed other novels about art and art history before. This was a fascinating story about the science and ethics of art forgery, of fame and infamy, and the perils and joys of love. Shapiro's writing is very good, and I felt very involved with her characters. Tho it may stretch credibility to think that Claire could do what she did, it fit well in the context of the story. It is fiction after all! I read the book quickly, and the last 100 pages without stopping. Even though I had many other things to do, I needed to see how it ended! Book clubs would find much to discuss here - art history, art thefts, and ethics.
Joann M. (09/10/12)

Shapiro's Masterpiece!
I loved this book! From the moment I started reading I was absorbed in the story and I could not put the book down! I was eager to learn the secrets of Claire's past and see how that past played a role in the choices she struggled to make as the mystery of the art forgery unfolded. The author has also instilled in me a new appreciation and interest in art. I would definitely recommend this book and look forward to the next offering from Shapiro.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

Tomlinson Hill