Reader reviews and comments on Live by Night, plus links to write your own review.

By Dennis Lehane

• Hardcover: Oct 2012,
    Paperback: May 2013,

There are currently 37 reader reviews for Live by Night

Joan C. (Warwick, RI) (08/18/12)

Life By Night
How does the son of the Boston Chief of Police turn out to be a gangster? As Dennis LeHane tells us, it turns out to be a very interesting story featuring a very interesting man. It's easy for the reader to slide into the prohibition era with all its drama and strife. You get a first-hand look at the period's sobering reality. LeHane astutely balances the raw violence the era with the humanness of his characters. This book is too good to miss.
Elizabeth M. (Syracuse, New York) (08/18/12)

Southern Gangster
Because of the settings of author Dennis Lehane's other books, I anticipated that this story about prohibition era gangsters would center around Boston. The story did start there but then quickly moved south when the main character, Joe Coughlin, is sent to Tampa, Florida to take over the liquor business there.
Most of the other books I have read about prohibition era gangsters took place in cities, so it was really interesting to see how the usual gangster problems intermixed with issues of race, such as dealing with the KKK, and with the vibrant population of Cuban nationalists.
I really enjoyed following Joe Coughlin's story to see how his morals were shaped by the positions he found himself in and how these morals were shaped by the philanthropic leanings of a woman he meets named Graciela and how these morals clashed with the stricter religious leanings of Tampa's police chief.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in historical fiction of the prohibition era as well as anyone who is interested in considering how you arrive a definition of right and wrong.
As a side note, I read this in the summer, but as a native of upstate New York, I can imagine that if I had read Lehane's descriptions of the pre-air conditioning humidity in Tampa during a long, cold winter, this book would have been even more appreciated.
Judi C. (QUARTZSITE, AZ) (08/18/12)

Smooth, gritty, vivid!
This is a solid read taking you to 1926 prohibition era Boston, Ybor City/Tampa and even Cuba over an eleven year period.

It follows the outlaw life of the charismatic Joe Coughlin, a smart kid who early on gets undone by a femme fatale.

I recommend Live by Night to anyone who likes to be transported to another time and place.
Viqui G. (State College, PA) (08/17/12)

Live By Night
I never expected to like a book about unscrupulous and violent gangsters. However, I have to admit this story was so well written and the characters were so fleshed out and believable that I enjoyed the novel very much. It was a real page-turner. Joe, the main character of this novel, was an entirely likeable guy who happened to be a gangster or as he liked to think of himself, an outlaw. Although I do not agree with Joe's way of life and his methods of "making a living", Dennis Lehane's talent for writing created a protagonist that is hard not to root for. I think that anyone that enjoys good writing and an interesting plot would enjoy this book. I am certainly going to be checking out other Lehane novels after reading this one.
Marion T. (Palatine, IL) (08/16/12)

Live by Night
This is the first Dennis Lehane book I have read but diffidently not the last. The story is filled with love, loss, betrayal and redemption. A historical fiction set in the 1920's probation era about gangsters, crooked cops, thugs, spanning through Boston, Florida and Cuba. A good read from the historical view point and the thriller side.
Margaret (Petoskey, MI) (08/15/12)

Interesting Storyteller
Live by Night is an interesting and colorful book about a gangster's life during the prohibition era. The changing activities of the strong characters helped to hold my attention from beginning to end. Dennis Lehane is a good storyteller and I will be interested in reading more books by this author. I would recommend this book to adults who are interested in stories with some historical background.
Joanne V. (Towanda, PA) (08/15/12)

Another Dennis Lehane winner
I have read many of Dennis Lehane's books and loved this one! His characters are wonderfully drawn, not to mention his interesting chapter titles. If you are a Lehane fan, you will like this one, although I admit to having had a difficult time with "The Given Day". You are drawn in from the first sentence and it doesn't let up. I would recommend this to anyone who loves crime fiction - not too sure that book clubs would like it though.
Sarah B. (Streamwood, IL) (08/15/12)

Live by NIght
Live by Night is a wonderful piece of storytelling. The story of the Coughlin family during prohibition was so detailed and rich I felt like I could smell the rum and the seas.
The book covers many themes like love, revenge, and hate masterfully. The characters were not static and grew which helped draw me into the book and love it more.

The Search