Reader reviews and comments on The Angel's Game, plus links to write your own review.

By Carlos Ruiz Zafon

• Hardcover: Jun 2009,
    Paperback: May 2010,

There are currently 15 reader reviews for The Angel's Game

Mark (07/06/09)

Good book reads like a classic tale
"Angel's Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is a Dickens like classic tale of good versus evil. Many richly described characters weave a twisting, mysterious plot. If you enjoyed Zafron"s first novel "Shadow of the Wind", then you will like "Angel's Game". However, there are some similarities that might be a little disappointing. Many intriguing and thought provoking ideas are discussed in conversations between the two characters representing good and evil. There were also some interesting comments on being a man of faith without religion. The book starts slowly and drags in a few places but the pace picks up and intensifies in Part 3. The ending cannot be predicted and is very satisfying.
Judy (07/06/09)

An Irresistable Tale
For readers who loved The Shadow of the Wind, Zafon's follow up novel will not disappoint. Set once again in Barcelona, a young writer struggles with loneliness, ambition, unrequited love and a puzzling character who seems to offer David Martin a chance to achieve his wildest dreams. The Cemetery of Forgotten Books figures in the tale as well as the dark and disturbing currents of the city. Best of all, Zafon delves into philosophy, questions of good and evil, the purposes of literature and the personal tragedies that underlie society's troubles. The novel is a page turner that also addresses the issues of the world with intelligence, wonder and even humor. Who can resist a book about books, writing, love and danger?
Cathy (07/06/09)

Outstanding
I loved Shadow of the Wind and when I had the opportunity to request an advance copy of Carlos Ruiz Zafon’s latest novel, I jumped at the chance. The language is beautiful -- I was hooked from the first paragraph. The power of the written word and love of literature are key components of this prequel. The Sempere and Sons bookstore and Cemetery of Forgotten Books are once again part of the framework. The plot is complicated and the story is much darker than Shadow of the Wind, but the diabolical characters, obsessive love interest, and supernatural events are woven into the story in such a masterful way that despite the unlikely chain of events, the book is impossible to put down. I would read anything by this author.
Susan (07/06/09)

A Superb Read!
If you liked his previous book, "Shadow of the Wind" then you will undoubtedly like this one too. I do. Although I haven't quite finished this book yet I'm savoring every word written as I'm mesmerized by this Gothic tale and don't want it to end.
Taylor (07/06/09)

The Angel's Game
Though No. 1 in Spain, I feel we have read so many themes of angels of the darkness that this is just one more. However, the characters are fascinating, the plot knotted and tight, and there undulates over the entire book a shadow of threat and fright.

Influenced by neighbor Gaudi's fantastic castle in Barcelona, Zafon enlarges and personifies the imaginations of living gargoyles, gossamer threads weaving snares to entrap and consume the gullible young journalist David Martin. Driven, however, toward his goal of publication, young Martin is deaf to all rationale and leaps into his dreams, mingling his convictions with those of freakish creations, a mad artist with unblinking eyes - the angel? - canine smiles and with hypnotic control over his prey.

Nothing is as it seems. Even the two loves of David's life seem impotent to awaken him from his paranoia of grandiose pursuits into oblique darkness of soul and of spirit.
Carole (07/06/09)

It was OK
Carlos Ruiz Zafon takes us back to Barcelona and the familiar Cemetery of Forgotten Books. This journey while spellbinding at times becomes a little tedious. The thematic process of developing Good and Evil is a little overbearing at times. There is no question that Zafon can write a good story, he would do better to compact his development of the theme and let the story loose.

His books are easy sells for librarians and booksellers. I guess I would recommend The Shadow of the Wind over The Angel's Game.
Nancy (07/06/09)

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz-Zafon
Mr Ruiz-Zafon's second novel in a proposed quartet was a distinct disappointment. The story is disjointed and overly gothic. Mr. Ruiz-Zafon states that this second installment is a semi-prequel. We can only hope for better things from the third book. The characters in The Angel's Game are unsympathetic and lackluster. I read The Shadow of the Wind before it became popular and was very impressed, so much so that I nominated it for a local area read.

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove