Reader reviews and comments on The Sociopath Next Door, plus links to write your own review.

The Ruthless Versus the Rest of Us

By Martha Stout

• Hardcover: Feb 2005,
    Paperback: Mar 2006,

There are currently 40 reader reviews for The Sociopath Next Door

Lori (12/14/06)

The Sociopath in my Home
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it provided the springboard for my own psychological healing. Within the first pages, I saw my own sister described and realized that she is behind many of my problems. I also learned more effective ways of responding to her and protecting myself.
april arrandt (11/21/06)

sociopath next door
An update for all of you readers.

My healing has finally begun. I'm having fun,
laughing often and enjoying life. Its been so so long.
Never doubt you can make it because I have been
there. My (our) daughter has done very well without
my ex as well (that was surprising to me). Take back
your life!!
martha (11/16/06)

Finally!
Finally someone has exposed these cruel evil people for what they are!

I am a domestic violence survivor. I always thought my ex husband was a psychopath. When I would explain to the police or the court system all the physical abuse my children and I suffer at my ex-husband's hands , they would not believe me. My ex-husband is an expert at gaslighting. These people are very hard to prosecute because they gaslight. The court and the people who have the power to stop him won't do anything because they don't have any solid "proof" that he did anything wrong.

The truly scary part is that he still is allowed visitation with the children.

Thank you for writing this book. Hopefully it will open the eyes of enough people who are in the position to stop these people.
G. C. Taylor (10/04/06)

The Sociopath Next Door
This is the basic problem we face with many current politicians and those that fincane their campaigns. We must remember that "one in 25" can be sociopathic. These are the people who take us into war and believe that they are doing the right thing.

Thank you Dr. Stout for bringing this problem to light.
Alison (04/04/06)

Loved the book, don't know how practical it can be in protecting yourself from a socio!
Finally someone is debunking the myth of the cold-hearted serial killer as a *sociopath*, while leaving those who don't kill unmentioned. Those who use lies, cheating and stealing to wreak a path of destruction through innocent lives. This book is an interesting read for those interested in social or criminal psychology.
Paul (07/19/05)

An important book
It is my view that this book should be a must read for anyone in law inforcement, social work, law, and anyone working with sizable groups of people, such as a corporate setting. A very important book.
Veronica (06/13/05)

Fascinating read
Outstanding book, especially if you enjoy reading about human behavior. The author states that 4% of the population (1 in 25) is sociopathic and then describes their behavioral characteristics and how to protect yourself from them. This is an eye-opening book which I highly recommend.
april arrandt (02/17/05)

I was married to a sociopath (diagnosed by a therapist some 20 years ago) for 30 years and i almost lost my life. I cried when i read this book and the healing finally came after so many year of suffering. I could not convince many people what i was going through.
What took so long for this book to reach the public but im relieved now.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove