Reader reviews and comments on Reading Lolita In Tehran, plus links to write your own review.

Reading Lolita In Tehran

By Azar Nafisi

Reading Lolita In Tehran

• Hardcover: Mar 2003,
    Paperback: Dec 2003,

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Reading Lolita In Tehran

Mahsa (01/03/05)

A great connecting book to my soul and my experiences. It pictures the values of Iranian people desires apart from what the regime make them to do.
A picture of the young people craving to discover more and more about lide even in the repression situation around. It is a masterpiece that made me cry
as a persian girl to remember all these ugly realities that was and are happening to people in Iran, but still morals and curiosity blossom and never die...
Garrett (11/21/04)

The book had potential and I looked forward to reading it, however, I was greatly disappointed. Her discussions of the books her classes wrote seem more like literary criticism and less an integrated part of her own story. The book jumps back and forth in time and without political knowledge of Iran the reader may be confused.
gallahawk (10/17/04)

This was a powerful book evoking strong feelings; I was actually angry with the Iranian religious regime as I read it. The author did a great job of comparing the lives of herself and her students in their own political situation with the similarities of the characters of great Western literature banned in Iran. She forces readers to comtemplate their own feelings and actions if presented with a similar political/religious environment. Her command of English is wonderful - poetic and flowing - even though she is not a native speaker. This is one I will read again.
april thomas (09/27/04)

Reading this book gave me insight in understanding in a culture vastly different from my own. By the end of the book I appreciated the many freedmans that we have in this country. To be able to move about freely and to read and discuss a book without fear is a great thing.
Bibliophiend (05/23/04)

This author's ability to analyse Western literature and explain its subtleties gives the reader new appreciation for it. When you stop to consider that the author and her book group put their lives at risk to read these works, it also makes you appreciate how unfortunate it is that the majority of Americans will ignore these books or read them grudgingly for school credit. Her stories range from the humorous to the appalling and each is told in such a way to make the reader better understand the lives of the politically repressed. One need not have a thorough knowledge of Iranian history nor the books discussed to greatly enjoy this writer's story. Perhaps it will help us to appreciate our freedoms and not take them so for granted. I have read this book three times now; once when it first was released, again for a non-fiction book group, and finally when it was chosen as our town's "One Book" and each time I have drawn new things from it...a sign of a classic in my estimation.
Catherine (04/21/04)

We read this for book club. It was like taking a literature course! She does a great job of discussing the book and tying it into the politics her country. The middle was a bit slow. Made us all want to read or reread the classics.

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove