Reader reviews and comments on A Short History of Nearly Everything, plus links to write your own review.

A Short History of Nearly Everything

By Bill Bryson

A Short History of Nearly Everything

• Hardcover: May 2003,
    Paperback: Sep 2004,

There are currently 15 reader reviews for A Short History of Nearly Everything

Simon Wood (08/06/04)

I have been waiting all my post teen life for someone to produce a book like Bill's. It's great read. It is scientifically Educational to laymen like myself as well as offering vast historical insight of the founders (or should I say the occasional charlaten) of what we know and understand today about our planets and ourselves.
Our education systems should ensure that this book is prefered reading for all children between 11 - 16.
Well done Bill.

J Reilly (03/23/04)

Exceptional book. A great read. Everything you always didn't really want to know about every facet of our physical world - but Bryson drills it into the reader in a pleasant, informative and enjoyable book. Unexpectedly funny. It reminds me of the Connections series (formerly on PBS, I think) with James Burke.
Michael (03/17/04)

Although I have only read part 1 of the book, meaning I'm only 7% of the way in to it but already I can tell it will be a fantastic read. Space, natural history and evolution have always fascinated me and the author explains it all in a simple way. Only now can I appriciate how vast the immense vastness of space actually is. He is a brilliant writer and I'm sure that the rest of the book will continue in the fantastic way that it opened.

Michael Ritchie, age 16
S.I. MacDonald (03/16/04)

I am suffering the most horrendous torment this semester: physics, calculus, and chemistry. As I poured through stale textbooks and cup after cup of coffee I often wondered, "Why am I doing this to myself???" Then I coaxed my Physics professor to allow me to write a book review on "A Short History of Nearly Everything". Bryson, you're saving me this semester, your book was a breath of fresh air. You roused my interest in every one of my previously painful courses. I once detested Newton, but now I enjoy him completely! My highest regards.
Josh (02/26/04)

I bought this book as an audio file on iTunes. It is a thrilling. The way Bill Bryson uses comparisons to convey enormous distances and periods of time are enough to make you rethink existence.
Anonymous (08/28/03)

I was a little skeptical about how interesting a book about "everything" would be. I found it fascinating and a fast read. Terminology was not overwhelming and anecdotal stories added spice to some of the dryer topics. I found the information thorough yet concise enough to keep my interest. I have recommended it to most of my reading friends.
smac (08/28/03)

Brilliant. We need him to write a guide on success now.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove