Reader reviews and comments on The Lobster Chronicles, plus links to write your own review.

The Lobster Chronicles

Life On A Very Small Island

By Linda Greenlaw

The Lobster Chronicles

• Hardcover: Jul 2002,
    Paperback: Jul 2003,

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Lobster Chronicles

Steven Abell (07/24/04)

Lobster Chronicles took me back to the early 1960's when I fished for lobsters in Scituate, Massachuseets. I had taken a teaching steacher position in Scituate after living in Ohio for 21 years and spent a summer learning the ways of both the lobster and the ocean the hard way. Linda took me on quite a nostalgic trip. Her tales of island life were vivid and colorful. Anyone who has eaten a lobster will love this book as well as readers who have suffered illness within their family. I now live in North Texas far from the lobster grounds. I must return someday!
Bob (08/20/03)

I have experienced both books by Ms. Greenlaw. The 1st by audio tape and the second by reading. The 1st is more adventurous and entices you to read the 2nd one. The 2nd pulls you more into the experience of a struggling human being and you end up wanting to read a 3rd to see what happens (while hoping for a happy ending). The book doesn't end, it pauses.

It is entertaining and educational. Most of all it is an exposition of the struggles of life in work and the family. This is really reality; it's as though leisure time doesn't exist.

If I had to bet, I would not take the happy ending option. But I would bet the house that no matter what happens, Ms. Greenlaw is going to give it her best shot and be ready for more.

I would cast Katherine Hepburn for the movie version.
Kay (05/13/03)

As a midwesterner, I found the book fascinating. Greenlaw gives an honest and funny account of what her life on a tiny island is like. The reader can experience the island life through reading her book without leaving the convenience and trappings of mainland life. All that was missing were the smells and sounds of the ocean. I'd love to visit her island someday as a "day tripper."
nina (10/31/02)

i think that this book is not a good book for a college student, it is good book for a fisherman.
i think it is boring.

• Book Jacket: Gemini
    Gemini
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin
  2.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh

Finishing second in the Olympics gets you silver. Finishing second in politics gets you oblivion.

P Your O C