Wendy Northcutt, who has a degree in molecular biology from the University of California at Berkeley, is the creator of the "Darwin Awards," pop culture's nod to Darwin's theory of the survival of the fittest, awarded annually to one person voted to have "improved our gene pool by removing themselves from it." In other words, someone who - through his or her sheer stupidity - was either killed or made sterile during a totally preventable act.
The Five Rules for this most auspicious award:
- Inability to reproduce - Nominee must be dead or rendered sterile
- Excellence - Astoundingly stupid judgment
- Self-selection - Cause of one's own demise
- Maturity - Capable of mature judgment
- Veracity - Event must be verified
Honorable Mentions are also awarded to those who somehow manage to survive their own stupidity, whether by luck or saving themselves. They may or may not still be able to reproduce.
Actual video footage of the Darwin Award Nominees ...