Reader reviews and comments on The Universe In A Nutshell, plus links to write your own review.

The Universe In A Nutshell

The Universe in a Nutshell
Very good.
Matthew Schneider (06/06/08)

Amazing
As the quote says on page 99, “I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space" Stephen with out a doubt takes the cake for being a "King" of the universe. This book really makes you think of how much utter power the universe holds and answers much of my questions about how we came to be on our tiny planet. From Einstein to M-Theory, this book is top notch. A must read for those who all wonder what's all out there and how big is this black space in which we find ourselves in.
anonymous (01/07/08)

Extremely interesting read
I was a bit skeptical at first of Stephen's work, but after reading this book, I became extremely interested in almost all of the topics brought up. This book combines physics, philosophy, and chemistry perfectly, along with a nice sense of humour to back it all up. I would definitely recommend this book to anybody interested in our universe, and how it all came to be.
KyleBryant (06/08/04)

This book gives a concise and reasonable look into the world of theoretical physics and history.

To imagine Einstein as anything less than one of the Greatest thinkers of all time is akin to insanity.

Please don't let any person who is grossly undereducated about science, especially physics, make you pass this book by on an AD HOMINEM ATTACK ON ONE OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PERSONS OF THE 20TH CENTURY.

This book, in layman's terms, describes the leaps and bounds of modern theoretical physics in a humorous manner.

People who still believe in the tired absolute time concept ought NOT consider this book.
-K-
jgaskell (03/29/04)

I waited months for the book to be delivered to my doorstep. And it was more than worth it!
carlosncarlos (09/14/03)

The book belongs to pseudo-science.

The reason is because time is not a physical dimension. Time is just a reference obtained by the comparison of the motion of physical means. For example, you compare the rotation of Earth with your daily duties: You said that at three o'clock you have a dental appoinment. Well, that means that when your location on Earth is -in the rotational angle with reference to the Sun- in the established angle for "3 pm"(standart), then, you say that "it is 3:00pm." But, this is just a comparison of motion betwen the rotational Earth observation and your position (motion) at certain places.

Do clocks measure the "passage of time?"....lol...since when? Where is the factual evidence to support such belief? Who did those tests?...when?...Where?...results?...Methods?...nothing!...There is not a single evidence that clocks can measure any imaginary dimension of time..all that fuss is just a mere assumption. Clocks are devices calibrated to a determinated functional work, and are not connected directly or indirectly to any imaginary dimnsion of time. Even Hawking can't define time in his book...because his definition will fall in fantasies...as fantasies are the theories of relativity.

In my opinion, Hawking worships Einstein, and Einstein was a lunatic. No wounder why this book of Hawking is full of lunatic ideas as well.

On the other hand, I will provide you the LOE (Law of Everything): The Perceptional Law. "The Perceptional Law establishes that the physical senses can perceive the physical universe in its present time only." No exceptions.

Do you see the stars at night? You see those stars in their current location and in their current and existing status. The obsolete idea that you can see the image of objects by the traveling of photons hitting your retinas is now laughable. You can see objects -only- when light reflects in their bodies. Those objects shall be existing physical means now, in order to light reflect on them and you can see their images. There is not other way. Reality rules. Anyone who swears that he can see the past of the universe -a past which doesn't exist now..such individual is hallucinating.

This book "The universe in a nutshell" has the wrong title, its title should be: "The universe according to a nuts"
John Valentine (01/17/03)

For those of you who have read, understood and enjoyed Hawkin's own books, you might like to read John Boslough's "Stephen Hawkin's Universe" (Avon)
Billy Bob Joyner (05/09/02)

I don't like them big ol words he uses. It ain't made no sense since I picked it up.

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for ...

P Your O C