Reader reviews and comments on The Wasted Vigil, plus links to write your own review.

The Wasted Vigil

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Wasted Vigil

Maggie (04/26/11)

Heart-breaking Insight into Afghanistan
This is probably one of the most profound books I have ever read. It breathes life into the endless news coverage of Afghanistan over the past decade. The horror and degradation suffered on all sides, the seeming hopelessness of finding a way back. I felt angry at the huge loss in every sense that this long conflict has inflicted on Afghanis, Soviets and the US and its allies. The mistakes made are so huge. It also gave me huge insight into the jihadi mind-set, and the terrible crime inflicted on these young untutored minds by their terrorist masters.
Alongside this, is a story of true beauty, of love, of courage amidst chaos. It is a fragrant whisper of the ancient beauty that was Afghanistan.
This is an important book, beautifully written, and well worth reading. It will change you.
Kim (11/10/08)

Five stars plus!
The Wasted Vigil is without doubt one of the best-written books I’ve read this year. The writing is positively stunning, the imagery so rich the reader has to pause to simply enjoy the picture the author has painted. This book is one to be savored. It also offers exceptional insight into the conflict in Afghanistan. The author sides with none of the warring parties, instead focusing on the innocents caught in the middle of the hostilities. Although it’s probably my favorite book of the year, it won’t appeal to everyone. It’s very slow-paced – even the action scenes are related in an elegiac tone. In addition, it’s not a very happy book; every single character in it is touched at one point or another by deep tragedy. I found that it was definitely worth my time, though, and it’s a book I won’t forget any time soon. I'd give it more than five stars if I could!

Mrs. Hemingway