Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- Mibs wishes, at least temporarily, that her savvy could give [her] the muscle to turn nasty girls into slimy green frogs or to glue their mouths shut tight with a nod of [her] head. (p. 17) Why do the girls in Mibss class make fun of her? What would you do in her place?
- The Beaumonts have to keep their savvies a secret from everyone. Would that be difficult for you? Do you think everyone has a secret? Who would you trust with your big secrets?
- Why does Rosemary Meeks come to the Beaumont house? How are things different with the Meeks family around? Is her influence on the Beaumont house positive or negative?
- Describe Mibss relationship with her parents and siblings. How is it complicated by their savvies? What are the positive and negative aspects of having siblings with extraordinary powers?
- Grandpa says to Mibs, Your savvys in your blood. Its an inheritance, like your brown eyes or your grandmas long toes or her talent for dancing to polka music. (p. 121) Are people born with special talents or do they have to work at developing their unique abilities? Are there any talents you wish you had?
- Explain how Mibs ends up on a bible delivery bus with Bobbi, Will, Fish, and Samson. Where do they hope to arrive? How do things go awry? Which scene in their wild adventure is your favorite?
- Perhaps Samsons strengthening touch was just an ordinary sort of human magic, the kind of magic that exists in the honest, heartfelt concern of one person for another. (p. 113) Explain ordinary human magic in your own words. Give another example of ordinary human magic you find in Savvy.
- Slowly, Mibs discovers the way her savvy works. How does she figure it out? How is it different from the savvy that she originally hoped for? In the last year, what have you, like Mibs, discovered about yourself?
- How does Lill Kiteley end up on the bus? What would you say is her special know-how? How does she use that know-how during her time on the bus and how does it affect the passengers?
- How does Mibss relationship with Will and Bobbi change over the course of the adventure? Who do you think changes the most in the story?
- Fish and Rocket have a terrible time scumbling their savvies. How does this cause a ruckus for the Beaumont clan and others who know them? Are there any parts of your own personality that you have a difficult time controlling? Is it better to tone down parts of yourself so that you fit in society or is it more important to be yourself completely?
- Momma warns Mibs that, You cant get rid of part of what makes you you and be happy. (p. 186) What makes you you? How do you let that special part shine through?
- When Mibs thinks about Wills obvious feelings for her she realizes that it[makes her] feel too young and too old at the same time. (p. 223) Do you feel like kids today are forced to grow up too fast? How might different aspects of modern life (the media, school, friends, etc.) affect the ways in which kids mature?
- After listening to so many voices in her head throughout the novel, what does Mibs discover about the voices that she and others listen to? Is their anything that boosts or stifles your confidence? How can you drown out the voices that dont matter?
- What do you think makes Poppa wake up at last? Do you think it has anything to do with one of the Beaumonts savvies?
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of Puffin.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.