Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- Is Jamie a sympathetic character? Is Cate?
- Why is Jamie so anxious about Cate getting out
of juvenile detention? Do you think it was fair of his
parents to keep it a secret from him?
- Under what circumstances do Jamie's hands start
to go numb? What do you think is the significance
- What role does memory play in this story?
Can you always rely on your memories to be true?
- Do you think Jamie has a good relationship with
his adoptive parents? Why doesn't Cate?
- In what ways does Jamie start to uncover clues
about his past? How do they change your perception
- What role did poverty play in the circumstances
of Jamie and Cate's early childhood?
- What does Cate want from Jamie when she comes
back? Is Cate a good sister to Jamie?
- Jamie has a lot of conflicted feelings about being
adopted. How does this play out in the story?
- Why does Jamie stop taking his medication?
Why do you think he's not honest with his therapist
- How do you understand the falling out between
Jamie and Scooter? Why doesn't Jamie have friends?
- Why do you think Jamie is so driven to find out the
truth about his past?
- How did your perception of Jamie change as you
read this story? Were you surprised by the ending?
- Are there any truths about yourself that you wouldn't
want to know?
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of St. Martin's Griffin.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.