Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- Why do you think the entire book is told in Jacks voice? Do you think it is effective?
- What are some of the ways in which Jacks development has been stunted by growing up in Room? How has he benefited?
- If you were Ma, what would you miss most about the outside world?
- What would you do differently if you were Jacks parent? Would you tell Jack about the outside world from the start?
- If Ma had never given birth to Jack, what would her situation in Room be like?
- What would you ask for, for Sundaytreat, if you were Jack? If you were Ma?
- Describe the dynamic between Old Nick and Ma. Why does the author choose not to tell us Old Nicks story?
- What does joining the outside world do to Jack? To Ma?
- What role do you think the media play in the novel?
- In a similar situation, how would you teach a child the difference between the real world and what they watch on television?
- Why are we so fascinated by stories of long-term confinement?
- What were you most affected by in the novel?
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of Back Bay Books.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.