Reader reviews and comments on The Passion of Artemisia, plus links to write your own review.

The Passion of Artemisia

by Susan Vreeland

The Passion of Artemisia

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 368 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Passion of Artemisia

Joy Stout (11/16/04)

Our local General Federation of Women's Clubs read this book and discussed it. The book was an engaging, graphic account of Artemisia. It gave the reader a deep sense of how it was to be a woman in the 1600's and how extraordinary this woman was. We then studied her paintings. The book gave us a deeper appreciation and understanding of the paintings as we discussed where she was when she painted it, how she made her color choices, who her patrons were and how the painting evolved. This was a wonderful book.
Lynn Foggle (09/14/02)

Perhaps because I am an artist I chose to recommend this book to our book club. Since no one else had any objection it was agreed upon and subsequently, each woman has called to thank me for a wonderful read.... and we haven't had our "book talk" yet! It's a wonderfully written book, meticulously researched and powerfully evocative of the strength of Artemesia Gentileschi; the first woman admitted to the Academia in Florence. The descriptions of the paintings and their construction are fantastic. A great little book!

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti
  • Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    So Say the Fallen
    by Stuart Neville

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.