Reader reviews and comments on The Ash Garden, plus links to write your own review.

The Ash Garden

by Dennis Bock

The Ash Garden by Dennis Bock X
The Ash Garden by Dennis Bock

Sep 2001, 281 pages
    Jan 2003, 272 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for The Ash Garden

Sasha Itterman

I give this book a 5. I am 16, and when I first read this book a year ago I thought it was amazing. I loved Dennis Bock's writing style and I think that he did a very good job of showing 3 different points of view on one subject. He didn't just show their points of view, but also how this one action, this one incident totally and completely changed and shaped these three peoples' lives. Bock did a wonderful job of bringing the peoples' lives together into one magnificent work of art. I loved this book and I would recommend it to anyone. It was happy and sad and sweet and heartwrenching all at the same time and that is what made it so good. Please read this book. Don't listen to the people who say it is not good. Maybe it just wasn't for them, or they don't have the emotional capacity to understand such a magnificent novel. Read it for yourself and make your own decision.

I would also like to recommend White Oleander by Janet Fitch, A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry, and East of Eden by John Steinbeck. They are all great novels and some of my favourites.
Mohammad Salahuddin

This is the first time I have read Dennis Bock and his brilliant novel The Ash Garden. I am about to read it again because of its incredibly beautiful prose, style of writing, emergent and performative poetics, and philosophical depth. In this book, I see a rebirth of the grand novelistic discourse long forgotten by those writers who have been producing trash, relentlessly, in this media-saturated world.
WS

Idea was great, but execution long drawn-out and ultimately boring. Characters props for author's purpose, not real people.
A.K.

Extremely Boring
I have to read this book for my English class and I have to say it's absolutely the worst book I have ever read! There is no action, no suspense, no drama, no irony, etc; I cannot find anything in this book that would make it interesting in the slightest. The book takes something simple like kids tobogganing on a hill (just as an example from the book) and stretches it out for pages - explaining how Anton feels about it and how he finds peace and hope in these kids. BORING.
Balzac Fan

This book is nothing but an American bashing, cliche-ridden snooze-fest. The main character, Anton, is a typical science geek who is so smart he doesn't realize his own power...gulp...until it's too late. Oh where have I read this before? How about in every freakin comic book ever published. Anton's wife Sophie figured the best way to punch her ticket out of her WWII situation was to seduce this guy. All she had to do was go skinny-dipping and presto! The science geek immediately works for her release from an "internment camp" for european/Jewish refugees. The beauty of their relationship is that they actual travel back to the camp 6 years later and "seal the deal" on the banks of the lake they first swam together. Sure, that seems realistic. The only character worth caring about is Amiko, a japanese girl who tragically lives through the Hiroshima bomb. The problem is, she is written as an anachronism. She is too modern. Events happen which simply wouldn't happen in the 1950's. She says things and forms opinions that are too modern. And I simply don't buy the premise that she would ever travel to America to have reconstructive surgery. She would go anywhere but to the US. And naturally, her coming to America is treated like it's the march of the lepers down Broadway. I think I've written enough. This is a shoddy book written in disjointed flashback and it simply isn't worth your time.

• Book Jacket: Southernmost
    Southernmost
    by Silas House
    Southernmost opens with a devastating flood in Cumberland Valley, Tennessee. Could it be divine ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of the Fox
    Confessions of the Fox
    by Jordy Rosenberg
    In Confessions of the Fox, a fictional academic, Dr. Voth, finds a manuscript in the library where ...
  • Book Jacket: Tango Lessons
    Tango Lessons
    by Meghan Flaherty
    Meghan Flaherty's touching memoir, Tango Lessons, reveals some hard but important truths about ...
    The Almost Sisters
    Joshilyn Jackson's The Almost Sisters is a powerful look at the intersection of privilege, family, ...

The Radium Girls by Kate Moore

The incredible true story of the women who fought America's Undark danger.

Our House
    by Louise Candlish

A disturbing and addictive novel of domestic suspense.

So Much Life Left Over
    by Louis de Bernieres

An evocative and emotional novel set between the World Wars.

Meet Me at the Museum
    by Anne Youngson

A celebration of letters, kindred spirits and writing a new story for yourself.

Win Vox

VOX by Christina Dalcher

The story of what one woman will do to protect herself and her daughter in a society where half the population is silenced.

T B Y Speak