Reader reviews and comments on Affluenza, plus links to write your own review.

Affluenza

Jun 2001, 275 pages
    Aug 2002, 288 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Affluenza

adam

As a financial analyst and economist, I was very impressed with the book.

The challenge is in reality. How do we ensure that everyone has the basics we all need, including a vibrant community space, while not overindulging in junk.
D Rudy

The ultimate in illogic
Affluenza blames every negative circumstance observable or invented on the standard of living of Americans. While admitting that much of the core issue the book tries to raise is spiritual and relational, its solutions are ironically materialistic: more socialism, more government officials to dole out material benefits, to impose fine-tuned material standard of living that meets the criteria of these self-appointed experts. The book is packed with leftist naivety, glorifying the hunter-gatherer edenic existence, and vilifying technological advancement, and the difficult work and accomplishment that has brought it about. It similarly vilified the dearly-won system of free society under the rule of law, and longs for more leftist tyranny.

• Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...
  • Book Jacket: The Workshop and the World
    The Workshop and the World
    by Robert P. Crease
    The longest glacier in France, the Mer de Glace, is losing roughly 12 feet of ice height each year. ...

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

The Affairs of the Falcóns
    by Melissa Rivero

A beautiful, urgent novel about the lengths one woman is willing to go to build a new life.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U