Reader reviews and comments on Valhalla Rising, plus links to write your own review.

Valhalla Rising

by Clive Cussler

Valhalla Rising by Clive Cussler

Aug 2001, 544 pages
    Jul 2002, 528 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Valhalla Rising

Salys (04/13/07)

By far Cussler's best!!
Valhalla Rising was my 12th Cussler book in under a year and I must say it was definitely the best. The best part of Dirk Pitt's adventures is that they don't have to be historically accurate in order to be a good story. The shocking twists make the story. I'm 16 and I finished this book in less than 9 hours, it's too gripping to put down. Definitely good for Cussler newbies!!
uber (11/26/04)

awesome!!!!!!!!!
Ryon (06/02/04)

Great book. This is my first Dirk Pitt novel, and I thought it was fantastic. The surprise at the end was difficult to believe, but I thout it was exiting. I am a 14 year old from Canada, and was deeply entertained.5/5
Nathaniel (11/06/03)

Cussler has done it again!!! Now, it's surprising that some people would say, "This book stinks," when this is one of his best books ever. He is soooooo good!!!! I just can't wait for his next book!!
Timmy O (07/25/03)

I agree with Tom's assessment ("...The historical aspects were tacked on with seemingly no proper connection to the main storyline...And the ending???")

I was fascinated by the beginning and the lost Viking tribe...even the Captain Nemo stuff was intriguing...but it had NOTHING to do with 3/4 of the book. And the ending explanation about the briefcase was...well, I'm not sure what to say. It's like he hadn't thought things through and had to come up with some extraordinary (and not very believable) explanation to tie it all together.

I think Cussler has talent, but that alone didn't salvage this book for me. I was very disappointed.

(And what's up with everybody "smiling" (e.g. "he said smiling..."; "she smiled") He must have said "he smiled" two hundred times. Clive, there are other facial expressions, don't you know.)
Spud (03/15/03)

This book is excellent, keeping you wondering what will happen next. Very well written and keeps you in it all the way.
Neko (01/04/03)

I used to be a huge fan of Clive Cussler's novels (Raise the Titanic is one I'll never forget), but having read Valhalla Rising - this following severe disappointment in the three preceding it - I can only say that it was most likely the last new Cussler novel that I will read. It is sad to see a novelist like Cussler succumb to clichée after clichée, time after time, offending the reader's intelligence as well his own talent. The man can write good thrillers, with both a believable story and smart characters, so why does he give us books like Valhalla Rising? And to include himself in a key-role? Utterly tasteless, if you ask me. The cameo appearances in the earlier novels was okay, but as with the storyline itself, Cussler has simply gone too far, and overstepped the boundaries of logic and good taste. I can honestly say that never have I been as disappointed in a novel as I was in this one. To give it a one is still way too much.
John (10/10/02)

Excellent! really enjoyed the read, Ending was bizarre are trying to put Dirk out to pasture or is this the beginning of a fiendish plot for the novel. Thanks

• Book Jacket: The Islamic Enlightenment

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R