Reader reviews and comments on Ava's Man, plus links to write your own review.

Ava's Man

by Rick Bragg

Ava's Man by Rick Bragg X
Ava's Man by Rick Bragg

Aug 2001, 304 pages
    Aug 2002, 259 pages

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Ava's Man

Tanis

Bragg paints a vivid picture
Rick Bragg is my new favorite author! He is so talented in bringing the characters to light. I felt a certain closeness to the main character, Charlie, and his family after reading all of their trials and tribulations in the early 20th century South. You would swear Bragg was right there throughout the Bundrum's day to day life, so real.
Highly recommended read.
ALeger

Brings a smile to your face and warms your heart.
Growing up in West Virginia where coal miners and their families struggled to make a living, I loved Bragg's descriptions of the country surrounding and the lives of the poor. The respect for the south and the struggle of the poor is in every sentence of this book. He treated his characters (family) with respect. I loved it. It warmed my heart. Bragg took me home for a brief time and made me smile knowingly.
lauren

lu's review
I really liked this book. We read it in my class at school. It was great! I like how he gives a great description of how it really is in the south!!
Arlene Glenn Townsend

Personal
Rick Bragg has documented actual facts of life in some parts of the South, as so many children knew it to be and he has the talent to express. Having to exist on what you could grub from the dirt or sell what was made from corn or rye, shows a type of people not found any where else. Strong, unselfish women that lived and died without the honor they were entitled. Men that were uneducated so far as books enabled but a scholar in quiet resolve.
Dee Pierson

Sweet Choolie
Thank you, Rick Bragg, for a breath of fresh air.

Family and loved ones are what our South is all about. I pray we are not a vanishing breed.

What a spell you weave with words.

How proud sweet Choolie must be of you.
Susan Raby

A masterpiece
As an artist, I am able to recognize beauty in words as well as on canvas. Mr. Bragg "painted" a picture of his grandfather and the years that surrounded him in such a way that I felt I truly knew him. Any author that can do that without the assistance of paint, brushes, etc. earns my respect. Thank you Mr. Bragg.
Dee Burris

Terrific
One of the best books I have ever read. A must read, if you are from the south.

I Love everything Rick Bragg writes. I am a Librarian and it is not just me. Rick can touch people from all backgrounds. He can move you to tears or make you laugh. He can tell a story with the best of the Great Southern Story Tellers. My Mother and Rick's Grandfather Bundrum were 1st cousins. His stories brought so many of the tales my Mother told back to me again. My Mother read All Over But the Shoutin & we bought Ava's Man for her on tape. She loved every minute of both. Please don't stop writing. Somebody needs to keep these stories alive. My Mother is no longer with us but I will always have her stories with me.

Rebecca

• Book Jacket: We Set the Dark on Fire
    We Set the Dark on Fire
    by Tehlor Mejia
    On the island of Medio, a wall separates the wealthy elite from those less fortunate who lack the ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Leopard, Red Wolf
    Black Leopard, Red Wolf
    by Marlon James
    If you are looking for an indulgent, escapist fantasy, Black Leopard, Red Wolf may not be for you. ...
  • Book Jacket: That Time I Loved You
    That Time I Loved You
    by Carianne Leung
    Carrianne Leung was a Toronto Book Award finalist for That Time I Loved You as well as for her debut...
  • Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...

American Princess
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

Rated 4.9 stars by BookBrowse members - one of the highest scores of all time!

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!