Reader reviews and comments on John Adams, plus links to write your own review.

John Adams

Sep 2002, 752 pages

There are currently 12 reader reviews for John Adams

Ellen

John Adams
An absolutely MUST READ novel. The author puts real flesh on historical figures making them complicated yet awe inspiring human beings. An absolutely wonderful read. I will recommend this summer reading to my bookclub.
Robert Rohan

The real father of these United States
I happened to watch the HBO series of John Adam and decided to read the book it was based upon, written by David McCullough. Based upon the letter's Adam's and his family wrote in there days, I found it to be the most enlighting book I've ever read about the Revolutionary period.
From this book I believe Adams to be the true Father of the United States. More so than Washington or Jefferson. His personal mind seemed to reflect closely the architecture of the Constitution, more than any other person. After reading the book I now hear Adam's voice, as I read the Constitution.
The book gave me hope with the country's current political situation. After George Washington's Presidency I read how politics was dirty from the very start, between two friends (Adams and Jefferson) it got nasty. The quest for power was always there, with the information age, it is easier to find, via TV, net, or etc. Negative politics were not evolved, they were always there.
A new tribute or monument should be commemorated to John Adams. It is my opinion that Andrew Jackson should be taken off the twenty dollar bill and replaced with Adams, and after reading the book, who could argue with that?
Carolyn

John Adams by David McCullough
Being the first book picked by the Book Club, I recently joined,
I was overwhelmed by Mr. McCullough's research on John Adams. I felt like I was back in History class only this time enjoying it. I learned more in this book about our
country and founding fathers than all the time spent in class. Mr. McCullough should write our history books. Good Job Mr. McCullough!
Steve

As a 20 something who is not normally apt to reading books thicker then a brick I was completly captivated by the epic story of John Adams life. At times I felt that I was reading my own history. This book has been a catalyst for conversation in my life for over a year now. It has been the topic of conversation amongst my former Dean of Students, an Officer in the Military, a co-worker, and a couple who works as missionaries in South Africa, who by the way read chapters to one another before they go to sleep. I recommend this book to anyone who has a passion for life and wants to themslves do something with their lives that is greater then themsleves.
Paula

Fascinating. In "As Good As It Gets", Jack Nicholson pays Helen Hunt his highest compliment when he tells her, "You make me want to be a better person." At the risk of sounding schmultzy, this book inspires me to do more for my community and humanity. AMEN!
sandra hunsd

This book is one of the most amazing biographies ever written. It paints an unimaginable picture of the life of John Adams, providing descriptive detail and knowledgable information.
kernscot

This is the way to learn history! This is real and difficult to put down. One of the best books I have read.
Teacher

What a way to learn history! Why do we continue to teach history through a poorly written textbook where only facts are presented. Students need to know that these were real people working and struggling to live their lives during their time in history. Most of us will confess that we didn't like history very much when we were students but have only learned to appreciate it as we grow older. Educators need to put the history textbook on the shelf and immerse our students in literature such as John Adams by David McCullough.

• Book Jacket: The Perfectionists