MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Back When We Were Grownups, plus links to write your own review.

Back When We Were Grownups

by Anne Tyler

Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler X
Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler

May 2001, 256 pages
    Apr 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for Back When We Were Grownups

Once upon a time

This is a wonderful book!!! Like many of Anne Tylers books it is not a piece of literature that requires a happy ending. Instead it is very real and very true to what would be considered "the real world". Truelly beautiful writing. I found this book to be sweet, funny and yes sad. Critics may say that not enough was explained, that facts were left out, but I believe it fits quite nicely. Allowing the reader to imagine up just enough on their own. botton line of the book: We don't always end up where we think we will, Happiness is not always black and white. I have read many books. The first line of this work is my favorite line of all time, truelly.....Once upon a time, there was a women who discovered she had turned into the wrong person.
Catherine

I loved this book. One of Anne Tyler's best. The reader is immediately swept into Rebecca's life in much the same way as Rebecca herself is suddenly encompassed by the Davitch family. I like a novel where you are involved. I felt connected to the characters, especially Beck, and also the fact that the questions posed are universal ones and easily relate to your own life. It doesn't have a neat ending and you are left wondering what the next phase of Rebecca's life will be. I also enjoyed the way the house itself was somewhat a reflection of Rebecca; warm, welcoming, slightly dishevelled and in need of constant vigilance to keep it in good repair.
If you enjoyed Anne Tyler's other novels you will certainly enjoy this one. If you are looking for plot and action then this is not the book for you.
Jenna

Interesting
I enjoyed the book. I read it for a school project, and I am happy that I chose this book. Tyler made the story come to life. I felt that I was right there standing next to her throughout the whole book. I coudn't wait to find out what would happen next. It was a bit confusing with all of the unusual names, especially because Tyler threw out so many different and unusual names just in the first few pages of the novel. Other than that, I though that it was a great novel!

The first chapter I thought I would never remember who everyone was, there were too many characters all thrown in at once - but after that I like the book but did hope for a happy ending.
Kat

I just recently became aware of Anne Tyler as an author because of a year long study thesis on her. I've been rigorously reading her books and I must say that this book is my favorite. It truly depicts the talents of Tyler and the depths of the characters she creates. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Karmina

I personally thought that this book was terrific. It taught me the true value of families, freinds, and everyone around me. It had a great meaning to it and i hope some of you guys get to read it soon. you'll enjoy it!
lo

I thought this book was really intresting. aftre the first teo chapter i was really into the book. I definetly reccomend it!!!!
yota

i got the impression that not even once did the book dive in depth in the heroine's phychosynthesis; it rather brought into light the frustration of a middle-aged woman about to reconsider her life without giving the reader the chance either to sympathise with her over her decisions as a youth or empathise with her final resolution not to choose her old love. the book consumed quite a lot of pages describing in detail the gatherings of the family or the parties while the reader could very well do with a little more preoccupation with the central figure's anxieties and their source, her aspirations and hopes.

• Book Jacket: The Black Cathedral
    The Black Cathedral
    by Marcial Gala
    Marcial Gala's The Black Cathedral, translated from the Spanish by Anna Kushner, is narrated through...
  • Book Jacket: When We Were Vikings
    When We Were Vikings
    by Andrew David MacDonald
    In When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald, readers are first introduced to Zelda on her ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...
  • Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...

The Girl in White Gloves
    by Kerri Maher

A fascinating and deeply researched novel of the extraordinary Grace Kelly.

The Sun Down Motel
    by Simone St. James

The chilling new novel from the national bestselling and award-winning author of The Broken Girls.

Remembrance
by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I