Reader reviews and comments on The Last Time They Met, plus links to write your own review.

The Last Time They Met

Jan 2002, 320 pages

There are currently 60 reader reviews for The Last Time They Met

Kate Picard

Enjoy the book
I really like the way the write describes Hull , Ma. I can almost smell the ocean air...It really feels like you are at the beach & the small town feel rings true. I can't put this book down .
Lauren

The Last Time They Met
You won't find any clues leading to what happens in the end...at least not in this book. However, in "The Weight of Water," Jean says that Thomas killed a girl once, in a car crash when he had been drinking, as a teenager.
Rachel

Amazing book but puzzling
I absolutely loved this book but was astonished and left agasp by the ending. I'm still not totally sure what happened. I was so caught up in these characters lives that I feel almost lost after reading the ending. Was the beginning of the book only in Thomas's imagination? Or is there some other meaning to the ending i am just not getting?
liezle

WOW!
After reading this book in less than 24 hours, I was still wondering about the ending. My brain is in denial, really! The ending just can't be literally true! I keep going back to the Weight of Water (which i read first haven't finished coz i just got hooked on this one) and telling myself that Jane was lying! It can't be true darn it!!!!!

If you haven't read this yet, be prepared to stay up LATE! i got huge eyebags after i read this! This tops my favorite anita shreve books! I can totally relate to Linda, too. Her confessions, I know what she felt even what she was thinking. I also know what it felt like to wonder what could have been. I think Shreve knows what she's writing about. Its so real yet the way she wrote it is surreal. I wish the ending could've been different,it really breaks your heart.
Dee

Breathtaking
This is one of my all time favorite books. As someone that reads at least a book a day, I feel somewhat qualified to say what is a good book or not. This one is a good book. The love story just sucked me right in. The prose was amazing. Descriptions made me feel like I was actually in Africa. The ending was a shocker, but not too much if you paid close attention throughout the book. I loved the use of italics in the forward sections, very fitting.
Overall, I read this book every six months or so, just because I love it so much. I've read a few others by Shreve, but this one takes the cake.
Kay

I didn't want to love it, but I did!!!
I started this book with great doubts, but was immediately swept off my feet by Shreve. My book club disliked it, so I am so excited to have found the previous reviews - they validated my feelings.
I finished this book one morning last week, sobbed for half an hour, and then was depressed the rest of the day. I felt as if I were in mourning! I thought Thomas' character was wonderful...I didn't like him at first, but by the end I was half in love with him. Shreve's development was fantastic, especially given that the book reads backward...I agree with the above reviewer who felt the psychological transition was not inconsistent, but wholly explained by the events of his Thomas' life.
Complaints: I felt the sex was heavy-handed, especially in the first section [remainder of this section deleted by BookBrowse to avoid plot spoilers]. Overall I loved it, but I wish I could stop thinking about it - it's getting distracting. I started "Weight of Water" and am loving that too!
Mary

The ending of "The Last Time They Met" left me absolutely astounded. What a clever writer to have blindsided her readers so thoroughly! Though, when I went back and reread passages from "The Weight of Water, " I found that the answer was actually there, so the author must be either counting on the reader forgetting or reading "The Last Time They Met" first. Anyway, I thought it was first rate. I recommend it highly -- just don't peek at the last page!
Susan

The Last Time They Met is the most powerful and evocative book I have ever read. I have read all of Anita Shreve's novels, but this is my favourite and have read it several times. The ending was so heart wrenching and shocking it still brings tears to my eye. I highly recommend this novel and will be reading it again and again in years to come.

• Book Jacket: Treeborne
    Treeborne
    by Caleb Johnson
    The Treeborne family has lived on The Seven – the local sobriquet for a seven-acre stretch of ...
    Grace