Reader reviews and comments on The Last Time They Met, plus links to write your own review.

The Last Time They Met

by Anita Shreve

The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve

Apr 2001, 320 pages
    Jan 2002, 320 pages

There are currently 58 reader reviews for The Last Time They Met

Lauren

The Last Time They Met
You won't find any clues leading to what happens in the end...at least not in this book. However, in "The Weight of Water," Jean says that Thomas killed a girl once, in a car crash when he had been drinking, as a teenager.
Rachel

Amazing book but puzzling
I absolutely loved this book but was astonished and left agasp by the ending. I'm still not totally sure what happened. I was so caught up in these characters lives that I feel almost lost after reading the ending. Was the beginning of the book only in Thomas's imagination? Or is there some other meaning to the ending i am just not getting?
liezle

WOW!
After reading this book in less than 24 hours, I was still wondering about the ending. My brain is in denial, really! The ending just can't be literally true! I keep going back to the Weight of Water (which i read first haven't finished coz i just got hooked on this one) and telling myself that Jane was lying! It can't be true darn it!!!!!

If you haven't read this yet, be prepared to stay up LATE! i got huge eyebags after i read this! This tops my favorite anita shreve books! I can totally relate to Linda, too. Her confessions, I know what she felt even what she was thinking. I also know what it felt like to wonder what could have been. I think Shreve knows what she's writing about. Its so real yet the way she wrote it is surreal. I wish the ending could've been different,it really breaks your heart.
Dee

Breathtaking
This is one of my all time favorite books. As someone that reads at least a book a day, I feel somewhat qualified to say what is a good book or not. This one is a good book. The love story just sucked me right in. The prose was amazing. Descriptions made me feel like I was actually in Africa. The ending was a shocker, but not too much if you paid close attention throughout the book. I loved the use of italics in the forward sections, very fitting.
Overall, I read this book every six months or so, just because I love it so much. I've read a few others by Shreve, but this one takes the cake.
Kay

I didn't want to love it, but I did!!!
I started this book with great doubts, but was immediately swept off my feet by Shreve. My book club disliked it, so I am so excited to have found the previous reviews - they validated my feelings.
I finished this book one morning last week, sobbed for half an hour, and then was depressed the rest of the day. I felt as if I were in mourning! I thought Thomas' character was wonderful...I didn't like him at first, but by the end I was half in love with him. Shreve's development was fantastic, especially given that the book reads backward...I agree with the above reviewer who felt the psychological transition was not inconsistent, but wholly explained by the events of his Thomas' life.
Complaints: I felt the sex was heavy-handed, especially in the first section [remainder of this section deleted by BookBrowse to avoid plot spoilers]. Overall I loved it, but I wish I could stop thinking about it - it's getting distracting. I started "Weight of Water" and am loving that too!
Mary

The ending of "The Last Time They Met" left me absolutely astounded. What a clever writer to have blindsided her readers so thoroughly! Though, when I went back and reread passages from "The Weight of Water, " I found that the answer was actually there, so the author must be either counting on the reader forgetting or reading "The Last Time They Met" first. Anyway, I thought it was first rate. I recommend it highly -- just don't peek at the last page!
Susan

The Last Time They Met is the most powerful and evocative book I have ever read. I have read all of Anita Shreve's novels, but this is my favourite and have read it several times. The ending was so heart wrenching and shocking it still brings tears to my eye. I highly recommend this novel and will be reading it again and again in years to come.
Minnesota Reader

Having just completed this book, I am still stunned by the ending. I was totally at a loss in predicting Shreve's astonishing finish. I initially began reading, "The Last Time They Met," then stopped one quarter of the way through to read, "The Weight of Water," realizing "Water," came first. I am glad I did since Thomas' story is first introduced in, "The Weight of Water." (If you have read, "The Weight of Water," or plan to, please visit:http: //www.seacoastnh.com/smuttynose/index.html for information on the actual events.)

Another reviewer criticizes Thomas' personality, wondering why Linda would want to be with him in the first place. However, Shreve, with an adept understanding of human psyche, handles his personality change from teen to adult with expertise. It could happen to the best of us given his circumstances.

I was also impressed with her use of italics during Linda and Thomas' conversations at 52 and 26, and then quotations as teens. This odd writing style makes perfect sense by the last page. This is easily one of the best books I have read. One doesn't have to adore the ending to appreciate a well-written novel. This book put simply, makes you think.

• Book Jacket: The Amber Shadows
    The Amber Shadows
    by Lucy Ribchester
    The Amber Shadows sweeps readers into the realm of World War II-era Britain where Honor "Honey" ...
  • Book Jacket: Midwinter Break

The Twelve-Mile Straight
    by Eleanor Henderson

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E