Reader reviews and comments on A Primate's Memoir, plus links to write your own review.

A Primate's Memoir

Mar 2001, 304 pages
    Mar 2002, 304 pages

There are currently 7 reader reviews for A Primate's Memoir

Sarah (09/10/04)

I would have given this book a better review if I hadn't felt misled. I thought I was about to read a book about baboons, instead I read a book about Africa. Although it is very well written, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. So, if you're are looking for a book about Africa, it's probably a must read. If you're looking for a book about baboons, don't bother!
Treva (06/28/04)

Fantastic, one of the best books i have ever read.
ndasny (01/24/03)

It is such an excellent example of a humanized scientific perspective; in fact there's no other comparison in the way the lives of baboons, peoples and science, and of a individual life are intertwined. It is a optimal mixture of entertainment and education.
Shirley (12/03/02)

Tremendously great. It kept me thorouhgly entertained throughout the entire novel. A definite add-on to anyone's booklist.
gloria fossi (11/27/02)

For all the people who loves animals and nature...
I read this book during my last long yourney in South Africa, Botswana and Mozambique. It is the most amazing book I have read during this year. Thank you, Robert Sapolsky.
kyoozoo (09/20/02)

I lost interest in the baboons, though Dr. Sapolsky kept me amazed and amused with his tales and observations about his travels, the people he met, and the messes he got himself into.
Dawn (03/05/02)

I thoroughly enjoyed Robert M. Sapolsky's bizarre adventures and his ability to tell them both humorously and intelligently. He allows the reader to move through the chapters as if they were right along side him; maybe even sharing a bit of the 2 kilo's of the bargain 'tamarin' he purchased for the trip. It was captivating to learn about the Sudan or ride on a barge down the Nile or learn of the history, the politics, tribes and cultures of Africa. This was not the African experience I envisioned.
I loved his sense of humor and descriptions. Thank you Robert! for sharing your family of baboons as well as your travels in Africa...it's not a place I'm brave enough to go off the beaten path as you have nor would I have seen things in the same witty light as you.

• Book Jacket: The Ensemble
    by Tessa Fontaine
  • Book Jacket: The Female Persuasion
    The Female Persuasion
    by Meg Wolitzer
    A college freshman struggling for identity. A 1960s feminist icon attempting to maintain her ...
  • Book Jacket: A Lucky Man
    A Lucky Man
    by Jamel Brinkley
    If his debut collection of short stories, A Lucky Man is any indicator, Jamel Brinkley is poised on ...

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Eternal Life
    by Dara Horn

The award-winning author returns with an ingenious novel about what it would mean to live forever.

Win The Comedown