Reader reviews and comments on Death In Holy Orders, plus links to write your own review.

Death In Holy Orders

by P.D. James

Death In Holy Orders by P.D. James X
Death In Holy Orders by P.D. James

Apr 2001, 416 pages
    Mar 2002, 416 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Death In Holy Orders

J. Dean

P. D. James always delivers -- hers is a prose style that I personally like. She uses our English language at its optimum level.
The plot is ingenious, interlaced with questions that concern us all.
Religion is most unpopular today -- especially when it is requiring. The old liturgies and practices (with which this book deals so well) are condemned by the MTV generation. Beauty is not necessary in the "bare meeting house" services of the Non Conformists. The Arch Deacon comes off as the Arch Devil for this reader.
A great read this opus: for thought, plot, language and everything else. Let's see if we can get any college students to read it -- THOUGHTFULLY.
dory

i love this book i just cant put it down and when im finished i go back and read more of it!!
Stanley

'Death in Holy Orders' ended my virgin state regarding reading this author. She made me angry for all the right reasons. I was reading her in bed and every time that I resolved to get up and face the day, another twist in the plot delayed my ablutions. I was vocalising my irritation, and my admiration, out loud. Unfortunately, I did not find a great deal more to admire, although the skill of a writer in holding a reader's attention is pretty important. I skipped much of the description whenever I saw that it dd not interfere with following the plot. I found the style in presenting dialogue utterly unconvincing and lifeless. There was hardly so much as a whimsical smile from among so many characters, all of them a pretty glum lot. Allthough I have read in advance who dunnit, I shall follow the rest of the yarn and follow the thread. And I immediately went out and bought another paperback copy of a book by P D James from a local bookseller.
Stanwitz@aol.com

• Book Jacket: That Time I Loved You
    That Time I Loved You
    by Carianne Leung
    Carrianne Leung was a Toronto Book Award finalist for That Time I Loved You as well as for her debut...
  • Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Aeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

The Last Year of the War
    by Susan Meissner

A little-known story of WWII with great resonance for our times.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!