Reader reviews and comments on A Girl Named Zippy, plus links to write your own review.

A Girl Named Zippy

May 2002, 240 pages

There are currently 12 reader reviews for A Girl Named Zippy

Girl Anachronism (01/27/09)

Unsettling
I have heard nothing but praise for this book, but to be honest, I found it deeply unsettling. Haven Kimmel relates the odd and often unfortunate details of her life with such offhandedness, it is difficult to know how to read this story, and which of the characters to sympathize with. The way she leaves many stories only partially told only exacerbates this effect. Parts of Zippy read much like the zany and touching childhood reminisces by Jean Sheppard in his various semi-autobiographical works. Zippy, however, strikes a much darker tone with stories of wanton animal cruelty, family dysfunction, and death that make it hard to laugh at the more lighthearted memories presented without feeling vaguely queasy.In all, while I found Zippy to be absorbing, and even touching at times, the overall effect is not unlike happening on to the scene of a wreck- you feel compelled to watch as events unfold, and may even be moved by what you see, but you feel ghoulish for being unable to tear your eyes away.
meaghan (11/19/04)

I'm a 16 year old girl who was pleasantly surprized by the resonace of this particular peice. I would recomend it to anyone who misses stories about the time when childhood was full of adventure and good clean pure fun.
??Mystery?? (11/02/04)

I haven't read this book at all. I just wanted to say something, well actually, type somrthing. I was utterly suprised when I looked up the title Silverwing, and saw that they hadn't listed it here. I mean, Silverwing, by Kenneth Oppel, is one of the BEST books anyone could read! And even MORE suprising, they diddn't ANY of Kenneth Oppels books on this website! I'd say THAT was a waste of time! Well, thank-you for reading this.
Mark_Bledsoe (03/04/04)

Very funny, very touching, you could fall in love with Zippy
charday (01/05/04)

it was very detailed. it was full of adventure. you should read it!
Kristine (12/08/03)

I laughed myself stupid. What a beautiful story! Zippy describes growing up in such terms that its not baffeling anymore, like it was when I was small. I am interested in more!!!! A must read!
Lily (08/22/03)

This was an exceptionally good book. Although I don't usually laugh to myself while reading...this book caused me to do so. You'll find yourself laughing aloud and buzzing through the pages. Almost every chapter is easy to relate to your own life. I would recommend this book to most everyone, so sit back and enjoy this great read.
Conni C. (08/07/03)

I loved this book. A must read.

Conni

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

It is among the commonplaces of education that we often first cut off the living root and then try to replace its ...

K Your F C