Reader reviews and comments on A Girl Named Zippy, plus links to write your own review.

A Girl Named Zippy

Growing Up Small in Mooreland Indiana

by Haven Kimmel

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel

Mar 2001, 240 pages
    May 2002, 240 pages

There are currently 12 reader reviews for A Girl Named Zippy

meaghan

I'm a 16 year old girl who was pleasantly surprized by the resonace of this particular peice. I would recomend it to anyone who misses stories about the time when childhood was full of adventure and good clean pure fun.
Mark_Bledsoe

Very funny, very touching, you could fall in love with Zippy
Kristine

I laughed myself stupid. What a beautiful story! Zippy describes growing up in such terms that its not baffeling anymore, like it was when I was small. I am interested in more!!!! A must read!
Conni C.

I loved this book. A must read.

Conni
Zippy is also my nickname

I was drawn to this book because my nickname is also Zippy. My basketball coaches gave me the name Zipppy because i was fast and energenic. I have not yet read this book but look foward to reading it. It looks marvelous. ~Zippy
xntrik78

a book everyone should read... it's excellent!
Sarahbethers

This has to be one of the better books I have read in years. I work 2 full-time jobs and am in graduate school and (unfortunately) I could not put it down. It was charming and witty. I can remember having similar thought to Zip when I was a little girl growing up big in Jeffersonville, Indiana! I look forward to much more and to having more time to read them personally.
samaree

I always say don't write a biography if nothing happens to you. Well, nothing earth shattering or cataclysmal happens to Haven, nicknamed Zippy by her father for her frenetic personality. In 1965 when she's born in her hometown of Mooreland, Indiana the town has a population of 300 and stays that way for many decades. Zippy's mother is always reading from her stacks of books and her father is always fishing, working or whatever he does during the day. So Zippy spends her early years riding her bicycle and spending time with her friends. Her father pulls an incredible stunt to prove to his next door neighbor that his own two dogs are very quiet. This book is funny, sad and immensely readable and I look forward to more of this author's work. A memoir of her teens, perhaps?

• Book Jacket: Golden Hill
    Golden Hill
    by Francis Spufford
  • Book Jacket: Midnight at the Electric
    Midnight at the Electric
    by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    The world changes, but humanity stays the same. Whether a book takes place in the year 1510 or 2010,...
    by Paulette Jiles
    Paulette Jiles brings the landscape of late 19th century Texas to life in this novel long-listed for...

Win The Library of Light and Shadow