Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Palace, plus links to write your own review.

The Glass Palace

by Amitav Ghosh

The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh X
The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh

Feb 2001, 512 pages
    Feb 2002, 496 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Glass Palace

alphonsa philip

amitav ghosh the glass palace- a brilliant novel
A very moving and enlightening novel. Ghosh has done extensive exploration not of one but many countries. its not only brilliant in its style but also in keeping the reader in a fix of whats next? it not only unfolds life of different people from different continents but also urges the reader to introspect and relate itself to the novel. All in all a great novel not apt for one reading but many.
Kim Balmanno

Amitav Ghosh's novel The Glass Palace is an epic journey through three generations, set in Burma, India and Malay. The characters encapsulate the pain of colonialisation and come to terms with the violence and destructive energy of empire on their own personal existence. It is a story of struggle and triumph, love and deceit. Ghosh's novel is thought provoking. His use of imagery and expose is admirable. The characters are ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. I found it to be an enjoyable read and I would recommend it to those interested in history; both factual and lived.

Grace