Reader reviews and comments on Martha Peake, plus links to write your own review.

Martha Peake

by Patrick McGrath

Martha Peake by Patrick McGrath X
Martha Peake by Patrick McGrath

Oct 2000, 400 pages
    May 2002, 384 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Martha Peake

Elizabeth

This is a fantastic book which gripped me to the end!! McGrath is a fantastic author and I am looking forward to reading his next book.
Katherine

I am an ardent reader and lover of historial, gothic novels but I was very disappointed in this book. I rarely read a novel that I don't finish, but this is an exception to that rule. I made it through chapter 20 and then shelved it. I think one of the problems with this story is the POV. The author tells us the story, but rarely does he show us the story. I would like to know more about Martha, but her character is shouded in a verbal diatribes from the main speaker, who the reader could really care less about. Also, the pacing is extemely tedious. Nothing happens until page 120 and this book is only 300 pages. My advice is read the first two pages in the bookstore because that is the style of the entire book. My advice is don't waste your money, because there are much better books in this genre.

• Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...

The Affairs of the Falcóns
    by Melissa Rivero

A beautiful, urgent novel about the lengths one woman is willing to go to build a new life.

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U