Reader reviews and comments on Martha Peake, plus links to write your own review.

Martha Peake

by Patrick McGrath

Martha Peake by Patrick McGrath X
Martha Peake by Patrick McGrath

Oct 2000, 400 pages
    May 2002, 384 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Martha Peake

Elizabeth

This is a fantastic book which gripped me to the end!! McGrath is a fantastic author and I am looking forward to reading his next book.
Katherine

I am an ardent reader and lover of historial, gothic novels but I was very disappointed in this book. I rarely read a novel that I don't finish, but this is an exception to that rule. I made it through chapter 20 and then shelved it. I think one of the problems with this story is the POV. The author tells us the story, but rarely does he show us the story. I would like to know more about Martha, but her character is shouded in a verbal diatribes from the main speaker, who the reader could really care less about. Also, the pacing is extemely tedious. Nothing happens until page 120 and this book is only 300 pages. My advice is read the first two pages in the bookstore because that is the style of the entire book. My advice is don't waste your money, because there are much better books in this genre.

• Book Jacket: American Prison
    American Prison
    by Shane Bauer
    After spending over two years in Iran's notorious Evin Prison for supposedly crossing the country's ...
  • Book Jacket: Small Fry
    Small Fry
    by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
    Small Fry is the debut memoir from Lisa Brennan-Jobs, long-time journalist and writer, and oldest ...
  • Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

French Exit
    by Patrick deWitt

A brilliant and darkly comic novel from bestselling author Patrick deWitt.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter