Reader reviews and comments on Martha Peake, plus links to write your own review.

Martha Peake

by Patrick McGrath

Martha Peake by Patrick McGrath X
Martha Peake by Patrick McGrath

Oct 2000, 400 pages
    May 2002, 384 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Martha Peake

Elizabeth

This is a fantastic book which gripped me to the end!! McGrath is a fantastic author and I am looking forward to reading his next book.
Katherine

I am an ardent reader and lover of historial, gothic novels but I was very disappointed in this book. I rarely read a novel that I don't finish, but this is an exception to that rule. I made it through chapter 20 and then shelved it. I think one of the problems with this story is the POV. The author tells us the story, but rarely does he show us the story. I would like to know more about Martha, but her character is shouded in a verbal diatribes from the main speaker, who the reader could really care less about. Also, the pacing is extemely tedious. Nothing happens until page 120 and this book is only 300 pages. My advice is read the first two pages in the bookstore because that is the style of the entire book. My advice is don't waste your money, because there are much better books in this genre.

• Book Jacket: In Byron's Wake
    In Byron's Wake
    by Miranda Seymour
    It's tempting to think that our age of celebrity worship coupled with the 24-hour news cycle is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Latecomers
    The Latecomers
    by Helen Klein Ross
    The Latecomers is the third novel written by acclaimed author Helen Klein Ross, following What Was ...
  • Book Jacket: The Inflamed Mind
    The Inflamed Mind
    by Edward Bullmore
    It is common knowledge that depression diminishes the quality of sufferers' lives, but few people ...
  • Book Jacket: The Adults
    The Adults
    by Caroline Hulse
    Things have already fallen apart on the first page of The Adults. The novel opens with an emergency ...

Force of Nature
by Jane Harper

As atmospheric, tense, and explosive as her New York Times bestselling debut, The Dry!

Golden Child
    by Claire Adam

A deeply affecting debut novel set in Trinidad, following the lives of a family as they navigate impossible choices.

Win Uncommon Type

Uncommon Type
by Tom Hanks

Surprising, intelligent, heartwarming, and a must-have for Tom Hanks fans!

Tell I T T M