Reader reviews and comments on Protect and Defend, plus links to write your own review.

Protect and Defend

by Richard North Patterson

Protect and Defend by Richard North Patterson X
Protect and Defend by Richard North Patterson

Dec 2000, 544 pages
    Oct 2001, 608 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Protect and Defend

Ken Irving

The abortion arguments put forward in the courts made compelling reading and put the reader in the inenviable position of being able to sit in the judge's chair as it were. My own reasoning flowed to and fro with the testimomy and I found myself having to put the book down so that I could mull over the text to form a personal opinions only to find myself wavering again having read the cross-examination and closing statements. Who would want to judge such a case?

The other two main facets of the book, (President v Majority Leader - Senate v Nominee) were equally enthralling giving the reader an insight into the tactics of gaining votes from the opposition party and the potential abusive use of party funding

Having been given the book by a colleage, and being told only that it was a courtroom drama, (and having just finished the Da Vinci Code), I found this to be a wonderfully exciting read
Chip Browning

I believe it takes a lot of courage to choose the most divisive issue in America--abortion--as the central theme for a work of fiction, but despite his obviously pro-choice views, Richard North Patterson's writing gives surprising and compelling voice to all sides. The subplots build inexorably toward the inevitable revelations, but even when he's being predictable, Patterson keeps the pacing brisk and the journey itself riveting. Protect and Defend is astonishingly good fiction that poses difficult and often uncomfortable questions about real life dilemmas. How the characters that populate the book handle their private demons and public conflicts are what make the book such a compelling read.

• Book Jacket: Let It Bang
    by Hank Green
  • Book Jacket: Waiting for Eden
    Waiting for Eden
    by Elliot Ackerman
    Elliot Ackerman's latest novel, Waiting for Eden, follows Marine Eden Malcom as his death ...

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

The Kinship of Secrets
    by Eugenia Kim

Win Strangers in Budapest

Strangers in Budapest

A couple trying to make a new life in a foreign land find themselves drawn into a cultural and generational vendetta.

I Ain't O U T F L S