Reader reviews and comments on Dune: House Harkonnen, plus links to write your own review.

Dune: House Harkonnen

Aug 2001, 752 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Dune: House Harkonnen

A Random Reader

Wow
Sorry if I offend you but I cannot comprehend how anybody could possibly give this book a 1 out of 5. I myself found the book to be incredibly addicting and found myself constantly reader more than I should have because I needed to find out what happened!
Although to clear my mind I need to point out a few key details:
1) I noticed some people talking about a descrepancy in the Pauls' DOB. However if your ead closer, you can realize that their are actually two Pauls. One from the Prequel Dune's (this is Leto's Father) and one from the Original Dune (Leto's Son).
2) Many people critisized Brian Herbert as not being equal with Frank Herbert... Although I agree with you in the sense that he is not the same as Frank, stating that Brian Herberts style of writing is "inferior" to Frank Herbert's is completely biased.

Thank you for yout time. I highly recommend this book.
drama_queen

Dark but amazing. The story was addictive, I had to keep reading; really I had no choice. I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! (smile) :)
Bob

This is a great book that reaveals and explains more about what happened in
Dune
Christelle Oben

This was one of the best books i have read so far in my high school career.
Gebeleysis

Kull Wahad and Ya Hya Chouhada!
I just wanted to say that "Dune:House Atreides" is a top 5 book in the Dune saga: the first one is, certainly, Dune itself.
Danny Parrott

This (House Harkonnen) has got to be the best of the dDune book i have read! It goes at such a pace i could not stop reading it and cant wait to read House Atredies next! Great job Herberts!!!
Carolethecatlover@hotmail.com

In his introduction to 'House A' Brian Herbert would have us believe that he compiled an extensive 'Dune Concordence' i.e. a list of actualities and plot points gleaned from the Frank Herbert originals.
Even tho' it was many years since I read the originals, I was sure there were many disagreements in 'House A' with the originals.
I bought a copy of Dune and found a discrepency on page 1. The date of Paul's birth. The most irritating of the failures continues into 'House H' and how Duke Leto acquired Jessica....
Some of the plotlines are contrived and do not flow into the storyline. This is always a problem when handling other peoples ideas, but in such a revered work it is downright annoying.
Who is Kailua and why is she in this story?
OK Book editors are hated by authors, but this one was too, too timid. A vast amount of wordage and several improbabilities could have been cut with no loss to the overall relevance of the story.
I, as a woman, have a nasty feeling that Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert, one or both, have far less understanding of women than Frank Herbert had.
The style is seamless and the action sequences realistic. It could have been done so much worse. (Read the sequel to 'Gone with the Wind') Nevertheless, I am and remain profoundly irritated by the obvious and improbable discontinuences with the 'concordence'. Carole
Vladimir

Although exceedingly enjoyable, and certainly one of the best SF novels
in these years, the stile is visibly different than the stile of the great Frank Herbert. However, that could be the advantage,
since it is certainly impossible to imitate Frank Herbert.

The House of Harkonnen is full of action, and made for big screen. What I am missing is the mystery, and almost occult
(melange?) flavored development that was so strong and definitive in the original Dune books.

This book, as well as the House Atreids and House Corino, should be considered as chronicles of the old times.

• Book Jacket: Vita Nostra
    A Spark of Light
    by Jodi Picoult

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

The Kinship of Secrets
    by Eugenia Kim

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance