Reader reviews and comments on When We Were Orphans, plus links to write your own review.

When We Were Orphans

by Kazuo Ishiguro

When We Were Orphans

Sep 2000, 320 pages
    Oct 2001, 352 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for When We Were Orphans

Janette Ireland (02/14/09)

no depth
The style of sentence construction looked like Ishiguro was trying to put himself into the 1930's, what he was doing was a bad imitation. It was as if the whole book was written by the child character, who never grew up in terms of maturity of thought or outlook. No depth to characters. Unbelievable, in plot etc. Friends of Christopher thought he was odd, loner etc.but he didn't recognise himself as such, in fact his behaviour was so bizarre - was this meant to convey C as really mentally deranged? You guessed- I didn't like it.
Jason Williams (05/06/02)

This is the best book ever. I think those words say it all. If I had to read again I would definetely read, without a doubt. It's worth reading it.

One Month Free Membership

Ashes of Fiery Weather
    by Kathleen Donohoe

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

Circling the Sun