Reader reviews and comments on When We Were Orphans, plus links to write your own review.

When We Were Orphans

by Kazuo Ishiguro

When We Were Orphans

Sep 2000, 320 pages
    Oct 2001, 352 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for When We Were Orphans

Janette Ireland (02/14/09)

no depth
The style of sentence construction looked like Ishiguro was trying to put himself into the 1930's, what he was doing was a bad imitation. It was as if the whole book was written by the child character, who never grew up in terms of maturity of thought or outlook. No depth to characters. Unbelievable, in plot etc. Friends of Christopher thought he was odd, loner etc.but he didn't recognise himself as such, in fact his behaviour was so bizarre - was this meant to convey C as really mentally deranged? You guessed- I didn't like it.
Jason Williams (05/06/02)

This is the best book ever. I think those words say it all. If I had to read again I would definetely read, without a doubt. It's worth reading it.

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review