Reader reviews and comments on The Amber Spyglass, plus links to write your own review.

His Dark Materials - Book III

by Philip Pullman

Oct 2000, 400 pages
    Oct 2001, 480 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for The Amber Spyglass

Book Freak (01/11/10)

Life and Love goes on
I absolutely adore this book. In fact, I own it! I love this book for its emotional trauma of how life and love move on even after the most terrible blows. I recommend this book to anyone who has a giving heart and is awed by the possibility different worlds around you.
Lindsey (08/19/08)

Great Book!
This book was very very good I have read the whole Harry Potter Books and many other fantasy book, he did a great job,my mom read it too .She cried at the end and I almost did, I couldn't put it down! Thumbs up!:-)If you haven't read the book,YOU NEED TO!!:-)
Starry (08/26/07)

Magic
Pullman's magical text, accompanied by a thrilling story, is one of the best (and saddest) books I have ever read. I was heartbroken and confused when I first finished the book, but now I recognize it as a spectacular novel.

Watching Lyra's innocence disappear was almost as exciting as everything else. Pullman has certainly got himself a space on the shelf next to Harry Potter, Narnia, and the Lord of the Rings. The book was thrilling and powerful. I do think, however, that the end was exceedingly heartbreaking. But, the book all in all was great! I finished The Amber Spyglass within 5 days, I could hardly put it down.

Mrs. Coulter's purpose, I think, was to provide a confusing and dark character. Her goodness and love of Lyra was fierce as her previous hate of children. I still can't figure out if Lord Asriel was truly good or bad. Pullman is a master of personality changes. Almost everyone changed in the book. Rowdy and crude Lyra changed to a serious adolescent. The characters that didn't change, in my opinion, are Pantalaimon and Mary Malone. The Mulefa, in my opinion, were VERY strange. What I love about this book is that every character has a purpose. Not many of the characters were likable. Will and Lyra were the only true likable characters. Balthamos and Baruch were also strange. The part with Father Gomez was unnecesary. And the end was depressing. But otherwise, I love this book. I wish i had a daemon!! What shape would yours take???
Big Girl0013 (08/14/07)

The Amber Spyglass
I think that the book "The Amber Spyglass" s a great book because Lyra and Will was at war rages and Dust drains from the sky, the fate of the living and the dead finally comes to depend on two children and the simple truth of one simple story. When I read the book to my brother he said that the book was a great because it was about an amazing book because it was about a different world and about two children.
Katie (07/30/07)

GREAT!!!
This was one of the best books I have ever read and I have read A LOT of books! It is also one of the saddest. I wish that there was a forth book!
Nell (07/05/07)

Good Read
I loved this book. My favorite is the the The Golden Compass which is the first in the series but this is still very good. It's not your average fantasy book. This is the most complicated book of the three. I was about 12 when I read it and some of scenery and concepts described were hard to understand so I would recomend this to readers 13 or 14 up.
Stephanie (06/27/07)

Disappointed and disturbed
I am a big fan of well-written fantasy books, such as the Narnia books, the Inheritance trilogy, and the Harry Potter books, but this book crossed a morel line it never should have crossed. I think it is disgraceful how a nation that claims to be Christian can be so easily swayed by some pretty words, when those words demean and debase the Creator. Not regarding religion, the plot does get quite frantic and the focus becomes scattered. The battle towards the end of the book that is meant to determine the fate of the world and the "death" of God was rushed and not deep at all. Also, the romantic involvement between Lyra and Will also seemed odd, since they were only 12 years old, and even if they can have feelings for each other, how could 12 year old children have feelings so deep and mature? Morally, I was outraged, and intellectually, I was not impressed. This book is NOT a winner.
Echo (02/17/05)

I would recommend the book to avid readers.

I personally didn't like it, I'm not much of a fantasy fan.

However, the plot is ok and the storyline is supportive.

The only problem is how the author defies God and his ideas and so forthe.

I'm Buddhist/Christian myself, but I wonder how other people get along with this book.

Stalin's Daughter
    The Romanovs
    by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

Spinster
by Kate Bolick

A bold, original, moving book that will inspire fanatical devotion and ignite debate.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All