Reader reviews and comments on Carpe Jugulum, plus links to write your own review.

Carpe Jugulum

Aug 2000, 384 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Carpe Jugulum

Emmy

a look at good and evil
Probably my favorite Pratchett -- (in addition to anything with Sam Vimes).

This examination of good and evil is superb, with a side-swipe on the stupidity of "niceness". Granny's journey into light and darkness is pure theology, and it's good to be reminded that evil is something that seems so enticing that we want to ignore the fact that it sucks blood.
Amanda

Of course the new characters are thin, they're vampyres. I loved this book, it's a great parody (and parody is what Terry does best)of all those vampire-type horror stories. All the aversion training with lemons and garlic is hilarious, and I now look twice at someone in a fancy waistcoat. Terry takes each of the vampyre stereotypes and destroys them (and everyone knows you never invite a vampyre into your home). The vampyres are well drawn characters, apparently genteel and sophisticated, but when you come down to it, they're cruel and self-centred. Surely this is how they should be? This is one book where Nanny and Granny are out of their depth, but hey they're witches not supernatural beings. They're certainly not "demeaned" in any way - yes they get a rough time but that's what makes the characters all the more believable. It's a classic good vs evil story.
Ron

FANS OF TERRY PRATCHETT WILL BE DISAPPOINTED. THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER READ PATCHETT SHOULDN'T START WITH THIS BOOK. THIS STORY ABOUT GOOD WITCHES VS BAD VAMPIRES PLODS ALONG AND READS LIKE SOMETHING TERRY THREW TOGETHER TO FULFILL A COMMITMENT. FOR SOME GREAT FANTASY, READ MORT, GUARDS! GUARDS! OR INTERESTING TIMES, ALL BY TERRY PRATCHETT.
George

I've been a Pratchett fan since "The Colour of Magic" and eagerly swept up new titles, making it a special point to visit Toronto where I could get titles not yet available in the U.S.

The triteness of the plot, the thinness of the new characters, and the demeaning of continuing characters combined to make a book that read like a high school student's attempt to hatchet a Discworld book.

This book (which I didn't even finish) put me off the whole series for almost a year. I thought Pratchett had lost it. A friend convinced me not to give up and try The Fifth Elephant. I'm glad I did.

• Book Jacket: Treeborne
    Treeborne
    by Caleb Johnson
    The Treeborne family has lived on The Seven – the local sobriquet for a seven-acre stretch of ...
    Grace