Reader reviews and comments on Innocence, plus links to write your own review.

Innocence

by Jane Mendelsohn

Innocence

Sep 2000, 208 pages
    May 2001, 208 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Innocence

Calliegh James (05/16/09)

Exceptional Horror
I loved it. My heart was pounding every second of it! Mendelsohn really knows how to write! I hope that everyone with the heart to stand it, should definitely enjoy this classic work of art!
ASHLEY (07/10/08)

THE WORST BOOK EVER!
This book gave me nightmares. I found it in my middle school library. This book is not suitable for teenagers under the age of 15. My mother had to go to court to get this book out of my library at school and many parents agreed. So from a teenagers point of view this book was terrible no one that I know of wants to read about woman murdering your girls to stay beautiful. That just sends a terrible message.
Danielle (01/25/05)

At first I was sure this would be another uncomfortably-unreal teen sob story. But for some reason it drug me into it and I couldn't stop reading it. It has been a while since I have enjoyed or related to a book like I did "Innocence". Now it is one of my favorites and I am so glad I picked it up on the bargain shelf. Beckett is a character I became very attached to throughout the whole three hours I read about her. Her story is full of intricate symbolism and heartfelt reality that fills my 15 year old heart with empathy and love towards Beckett. I would definately reccomend this book for anyone! It is a quick read but a deep one.
maria (10/01/04)

The author's vivid imagry is amazing, but it was a little too vague in parts. It seemed like the author was trying to hard, and the second half of the book read a little flat- the story didn't draw me in as well as it could have.
Lauren Hay (08/16/04)

I finished this book in four hours. It was extreemly catchy and drew me in with a magnetic force. I must say that at the end, I was perhaps a little confused, for Beckett's nightmares, hillucinations, or fantasies baffled and bemused me. Overall, I'm not sure how to take it. Is it a huge metaphor, or a twisted story? Despite this, I believe it was very well written and I absolutely fell in love with the style of writing it was displayed in, and the poetic form in which it was so greatly detailed. I'm fifteen years old myself, and reading this book was quite enthralling.
Lee Ann Gilmore (05/26/04)

I began reading this book late one night before bed and after what seemed like minutes turned into hours. I was mesmerized by the way the book was written, it pulled me in and kept me interested from one page to the next. I finished the book in 2 days! I have only found 3-books in my life that have entertained my imagination as this one did. I felt sad when it was done because I wanted to follow Beckett everywhere and learn about her life and how she deals with reality or non-reality! I could feel a sense of closeness to her. The words come alive and bounce off the pages, they fill your head with wonderful vivid pictures and scenes! I felt as if I were right there with her looking into the moment. I read a review by a young girl, 15 yrs old, who found the book to be outstanding as well…I am 30 and this book was just as good to me as to her. Absolutely colorful, creative, and I can’t say enough great things about it… wonderfully written!
Sophia (02/17/04)

ridiuclous. i finished it in less than a day, i coudlnt put the stupid thing down i felt likea huge nerd carrying it aroudn but its that good. its so gripping and i was right tehre with beckett. when she was confused i was confused. when she panicked i panicked.
im definetly going to go read mendelsohns first novel
Mmmmichelle (11/25/03)

YOU AINT GONNA BELIEVE THIS!!!

lol...ok ok ok that was to get your attention, now that i know your reading this let me begin by saying "I LOVE this book" (seriously)
Me, im not the type who enjoys reading alot, i actually HATE it to Death,
i would rather run infront of a car then to pick up a book and read.
But this book got to me. It is such an intresting book It seemed so real and i like how the author wrote it (like how it should be).

Suggestions:read Jane Mendelsohn's first novelI Was Amelia Earheart

well thanx for your time...

micHELLe

by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

In war there are no unwounded soldiers

The Big Holiday Wordplay: