Reader reviews and comments on Sister of My Heart, plus links to write your own review.

Sister of My Heart

Jan 2000, 322 pages

There are currently 7 reader reviews for Sister of My Heart

durai selvi

lovely
It is the book of love and care between two sisters. I amazed by reading. thank you chitra sister. Write like this to enlighten the society
radbad35

This book was amazing....I was wondering if anyone had a character list if the book. Read it! The first two charcters are the book are confusing with many charcters being introduced but read on. It's exciting!

I loved this book and am recommending it as summer reading for my reading group. It is beautifully written and a very compelling story.
J. Tatsch

Seeing the events through the eyes of Sudha and Anju in alternating chapters makes an interesting read. All the details of a family life in Calcutta, especially the expectations of the extended family are fascinating and incorporated naturally into the story. I found it hard to put down.

Hi All

So here's my effort on why I think Sister of My Heart is such an excellent book.

It crosses the barriers between love and culture; how sacrifice is neither good nor bad.

The novel allows me as a person, between two quite diverse cultures, to identify with the situations and compose myself to believe that "Yes this is very true" - it at times maybe just story but beneath the words there is a very emotional truth.

The book is wonderful as it allows the true expressions of a woman's life in its entirety to show - what it is like to be a traditional Indian woman yet how society and family and life can dictate the path on which she treads.

Furthermore when the Indian woman does make her own decisions how others percept these - a very intelligent book - once you start reading its just continuously intriuging - the descriptive element makes you almost feel yourself in the book as a charachter...however I am like Sudha - though at times Anju...
Mary Michael

Excellent book. Everyone in my book club enjoyed. The insight into the Indian culture is fascinating. A book that appeals to 12 different people is truly amazing. A delightful read. I have already started the sequel, VINE OF DESIRE, because I have to know what happens!

Mary Michael
Chicago
gabbagabby

Not too bad.
The book was beautifully written and was incredibly interesting. Everything happened for a reason, there was hardly any miscellaneous details. Although, and this is just a personal opinion, I found Sudha's character particularly annoying. Yes she had moments when she was very selfless, but it seemed like she was weak at the same time.

• Book Jacket: And The Ocean Was Our Sky
    An Absolutely Remarkable Thing
    by Hank Green

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

The Kinship of Secrets
    by Eugenia Kim

A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne

A seductive, unputdownable psychodrama following one brilliant, ruthless man.

Win Severance