Reader reviews and comments on Big Trouble, plus links to write your own review.

Big Trouble

by Dave Barry

Big Trouble by Dave Barry X
Big Trouble by Dave Barry

Sep 1999, 255 pages
    Jan 2001, 255 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Big Trouble

Justin

Not only is this book funny, it's beleivable. The idea of arms smuggling, nuclear weapons, FBI agents, beer, snakes, toads, Russians, Gzrkjistanis, New Jerseyans, Ad Executives, Journalists, Housewives, Executives, Embezzlers, Low-Life Bums, High-Life Bums, Homeless Guys, Teenagers and goats all interacting is far-fetched and highly unlikely in truth, and yet the story is coherent enough and well-written enough that it is beleivable. Every character is clearly introduced, unlike in most novels, by the narrator, who is an omniscient third person. Each is allowed their own dramatic dialogue entrance before this intro, but all are fleshed out independently of the story. This definitely takes away a buttload of the confusion, and also adds to the identity and fullness of the book. Barry's voice is ever-present, as anyone who has read his columns will recognize, and he has quite a bit of social commentary on the side, on subjects as far-ranging as airport security and talk radio.
A few cons, though: the FBI, police and fighter jet jargon is a little bit too jargonny, as are discussions of guns and missiles. It's as if--and I say this with all due respect--Dave is trying to prove to us how much he knows about it. Also, as a teenager, I can say his views of what we do for entertainment are a little askew, although the drama they add to the story is well worth it, so I wouldn't have it any other way. Not to mention I probably couldn't have it any other way, considering there's just about no other literary way to get that dialogue and plot theme in.
In all, five stars, and as many thumbs up.
sophie

This is such a funny book. People would lookat me funny when I laughed out loud though.
Timmy O

Harmless, silly fun. This book is non-stop and full of craziness. Good stuff.
Mike

I have long awaited the first novel by the hilarious weekly columnist for the Miami Herald. His columns are a weekly treat and his first book is a welcome addition to the South Florida fiction of Carl Hiassen, James Hall and Lawrence Shames. Try reading it on a plane flight, your fellow passengers will wonder what in the world you are laughing about.
your mother

This book was ok but it would be better if someone could type up the summary and gove it to me

• Book Jacket: A Ladder to the Sky
    A Ladder to the Sky
    by John Boyne
    Of our 44 First Impression readers, 32 gave A Ladder to the Sky a four- or five-star review for an ...
  • Book Jacket: In Extremis
    And The Ocean Was Our Sky
    by Patrick Ness

Unsheltered
by Barbara Kingsolver

A timely novel that explores the human capacity for resiliency and compassion.

Paris Echo
    by Sebastian Faulks

A story of resistance, complicity, and an unlikely, transformative friendship.

The Kinship of Secrets