Reader reviews and comments on Back Roads, plus links to write your own review.

by Tawni O'Dell

Mar 2000, 338 pages
    Jan 2001, 416 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Back Roads

David (03/12/12)

If you don't like books that start off depressing and end even more depressing, then this is not the book for you. The book is written very well though and it's hard to put down. Throughout the book I was just waiting for Harley to have some self realization that he was mentally insane or that his mind was manipulating his perception of events. Possibly waking up from a horrid dream yet he endures murder, incest, which is confusing, affairs, abuse, violence, and complete misery. I thought the book would end a little differently but it was basically a huge train-wreck.
lawrence monye (03/22/11)

one of the best
I have read a lot of books but this one is one of the best books I have read in all my time, very moving.... am recommending it to everybody
LM Hartman (11/13/10)

Back Roads
This part of the book summary is so far off the mark, I thought I must have read the wrong book:

"Through every ordeal, the unforgettable Harley could never know that his endearing humor, his love for his sisters, and his bumbling heroics would redeem them all."

What? I really liked this book up until the histrionic end, which has almost nothing redeeming about it. All the way through Harley and the other characters were believable, if troubling, and Harley was easy to admire and feel compassion for. But the end kind of defied belief. I don't want Hollywood. But a different outcome would not only have been more uplifting - it would have been seemed more authentic, too.
sasswood (12/05/07)

Best Book I have ever read!! Haunting!!!
I read this book 6 years ago and I can not forget. The book haunts my soul.
phertyl (07/13/06)

Not Convincing Enough
Sorry, but I could tell that this book was written by a woman trying to sound like a man. It just didn't work because I believe it takes a MAN to write about being a teenager/young man. Consquently, I found it rather weak and was distracted from my over all enjoyment of the book.
Erin (10/20/04)

I have read this book about 3 times over the past few years. It's a great book!
Jason 19 (04/08/04)

Backroads was a great page turner and hard to put down because the author's characters are so easy to relate with. I recomend this book to anybody that knows what it's like to be a confused and lost teen trying to make it under extreme circumstances.
yessenia (02/27/04)

This is a book i did not want to keep my eyes off. i loved how intense it was, and how full of suspense it was, and sometimes i felt like i was harley, reading the book made me feel think i was thinking his thoughts. and the sex scene's were exciting!!!
yessenia 15

So Say the Fallen
    by Stuart Neville

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.